Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 10th Oct 18, 1:21 PM
    • 224Posts
    • 51Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    TalkTalk to charge for blocking anonymous calls - MSE News
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:21 PM
    TalkTalk to charge for blocking anonymous calls - MSE News 10th Oct 18 at 1:21 PM
    TalkTalk is to charge £2 a month for its Anonymous Caller Reject service, which automatically blocks calls from withheld numbers...
    Read the full story:
    'TalkTalk to charge for blocking anonymous calls'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • aj23
    • By aj23 10th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    Literally just about swelling profits and maintaining them. Phone companies, gas, electricity, water, house builders, they are all guilty of it. Only interest in making enough to pay the directors millions in bonuses.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 10th Oct 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 10th Oct 18, 3:05 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 3:05 PM
    This is a service that almost nobody needs. Blocking anonymous calls is NOT the solution to avoiding nuisance calls.

Charging £2.00 per month for blocking anonymous calls sounds like a way to recover revenue lost when Ofcom banned charges for caller line identity information display. This took effect on 1 October 2018.

TalkTalk has an effective call blocking mechanism in their Call Safe product. This works much the same as trueCall devices but is built directly into the telephone network itself.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    • 9,462 Posts
    • 11,369 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    I moved away from Talk Talk and have barely had one nuisance call since. With Talk Talk I had them almost daily. Talk Talk's number range appears to be targetted.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 18, 4:31 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:31 PM
    Even simpler, don't answer the phone to unrecognised numbers. Answer it once, and your number is recognised as being "live" and will be added to another list to be sold on to the next lot of would-be scammers.
    • 2Protons
    • By 2Protons 10th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    2Protons
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    This is a service that almost nobody needs. Blocking anonymous calls is NOT the solution to avoiding nuisance calls.

Charging £2.00 per month for blocking anonymous calls sounds like a way to recover revenue lost when Ofcom banned charges for caller line identity information display. This took effect on 1 October 2018.

TalkTalk has an effective call blocking mechanism in their Call Safe product. This works much the same as trueCall devices but is built directly into the telephone network itself.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    Does anyone know why services like caller ID, answerphone, anonymous call blocking, call waiting, 3 way calling are chargeable service on Landlines in the first place since mobile phone/ VOIP services don't charge for them is it a direct wholesale cost or is a way to reduce the advertised price?
    Last edited by 2Protons; 10-10-2018 at 5:16 PM. Reason: typo
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10,131 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    It's a way of increasing income, ie maximising profit.
    • 2Protons
    • By 2Protons 10th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    2Protons
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    Even simpler, don't answer the phone to unrecognised numbers. Answer it once, and your number is recognised as being "live" and will be added to another list to be sold on to the next lot of would-be scammers.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    The problem is that too many official bodies have withheld or unavailable number due to switchboards.

So unless you only give your phone number to people you know and you know the telephone number they will ring you on thats not a practical option.

Then some of these scammers call also use spoofed caller IDs which could even be a local number.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Oct 18, 4:00 AM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th Oct 18, 4:00 AM
    • 11th Oct 18, 4:00 AM
    The problem is that too many official bodies have withheld or unavailable number due to switchboards.

So unless you only give your phone number to people you know and you know the telephone number they will ring you on thats not a practical option.

Then some of these scammers call also use spoofed caller IDs which could even be a local number.
    Originally posted by 2Protons
    I work on the assumption that if I don't answer people will leave a message. So if it's somebody I want to speak to I'll return their call.
    If they don't leave a message then it wasn't important. It works - for any number.
    • David - fair telecoms
    • By David - fair telecoms 11th Oct 18, 4:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    David - fair telecoms
    Blocking "anonymous" calls (i.e. those with CLI withheld) is a dangerous and largely ineffective way of blocking nuisance calls.
    In the case of Talk Talk, the "Call Safe" facility is far more effective, as it covers all unrecognised callers and avoids the danger of important and other wanted calls being blocked.

The fair telecoms campaign has long been fighting the absurd suggestion that there is any meaningful difference between an un-recognised number and no number at all when it comes to filtering incoming calls.
    "Call Safe", a network implementation of the functionality of the trueCall device, is the approach which all telephone service providers (landline and mobile) should be offering as a feature to all of their customers.
    Please get in touch via the fair telecoms campaign website.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 18th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    Register with the TPS. All our nuisance calls stopped. You may have to re-register after 12 months.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 18, 4:11 PM
    • 6,918 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    DoaM
    We have a phone set which incorporates BT Call Guardian (their implementation of TrueCall). As per LadyDee, unless the number is in our VIP list then at best the caller gets a prompt to announce themselves, whereupon we have the option of accepting or rejecting.

Some types of call are automatically rejected - it all depends on what "rejection" level you select.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 22nd Oct 18, 4:21 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Register with the TPS. All our nuisance calls stopped. You may have to re-register after 12 months.
    Originally posted by aj23

TPS will stop most (but not all) nuisance calls that originate from the UK. It doesn't unfortunately stop scammers from abroad.

Once registered with TPS, you shouldn't have to re-register again.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 22nd Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Mister G
    I have found TPS to be pretty ineffective at stopping the nuisance calls.

A far more effective way is the Truecall device like the BT8500/8600, as others have mentioned.
    Last edited by Mister G; 22-10-2018 at 5:30 PM.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 24th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Ian011
    TPS only stops marketing calls from legitimate UK companies. Expecting anything more is delusional.

To get rid of other calls, different steps are required. The most effective, as others have noted, is to get a trueCall unit, get a handset with trueCall built in, or change to a provider that offers trueCall facilities built into their network.
    Last edited by Ian011; 15-11-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    • Tawny_Owl
    • By Tawny_Owl 14th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Tawny_Owl
    Wasn't Informed Beforehand
    I've just discovered that this £2 charge has been slapped on my bill.

I'm furious that TalkTalk never communicated this price increase to me beforehand.

So I've cancelled the service, complained to their call centre and they've agreed to refund me the £2.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 14th Nov 18, 3:10 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    beardiedog
    I've just discovered that this £2 charge has been slapped on my bill.

I'm furious that TalkTalk never communicated this price increase to me beforehand.

So I've cancelled the service, complained to their call centre and they've agreed to refund me the £2.
    Originally posted by Tawny_Owl
    My brother didn't get the email either. He did the same though it took quite a bit of convincing to get a refund.

I did get the email and so cancelled beforehand, plus I'm cancelling redirect and the unlimited calls boost as well. It's far cheaper to use my mobile.

So they've lost £14 a month from me.
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 5th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    paul2louise
    I just discovered I am paying for these unwanted services. Very sneaky talktalk
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    • 10,131 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    pmduk
    They've got to cover their promise of no in-contract price rises somehow.
    • onefurlongout
    • By onefurlongout 16th Jan 19, 8:46 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    onefurlongout
    I didnt get the email either.

Any ideas what it says/ what are my options
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

5,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin