Leaving a dog

Options
2»

Comments

• phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    RandyRos wrote: »

It's a bit vague as to what constitutes the right to an assistance dog.
    If the OP has a disability that prevents her from being able to function normally in social situations would that count? It seems that ASD counts, if my neighbour is anything to go by.

Slightly off topic now, anyway, sorry.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once you have your masters in Osteopathy, will you then work in the field so might be out all day at work as well? Possibly with some late evenings?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    phryne wrote: »
    It's a bit vague as to what constitutes the right to an assistance dog.
    If the OP has a disability that prevents her from being able to function normally in social situations would that count? It seems that ASD counts, if my neighbour is anything to go by.

Slightly off topic now, anyway, sorry.

At present in UK, only dogs trained and supplied by the registered assistance dog schemes are supplied with ID to identify them as official assistance dogs.

There is no provision at present for dogs trained by an owner or other random member of the public to be registered as an assistance dog.

Dogs are trained by the society's trainers to a set standard according to the needs of the recipient.

If your tenant has a registered assistance dog she will have the society's ID for it.

Dogs for autism in children are difficult to get so sometimes parents buy their own dog but it is not a registered assistance dog.
  • phryne
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Dogs for autism in children are difficult to get so sometimes parents buy their own dog but it is not a registered assistance dog.

She bought it as a puppy and appeared to be training it herself, so I guess she just self-declared it to be an assistance dog, and the Housing Assn allowed it (normally tenants are not allowed pets here)
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    UPDATE ON THE POST.I THINK everyone under estimates how much I LOVE MY DOG. I got her at 12 weeks old, I don’t have ANY FAMILY in this country, she is my best friend, I went part time for her, so I could be with her during the day. she comes first and always will. She sleeps in my bed (she’s only 2.5 kilos so is a tiny thing ) I don’t have a social life and before i am judged. I dont want one lol. Ok so leaving her made me consider deferring or giving up my uni place. so I went and spoke to the well-being officer and guess what... I can bring her along with me. They apparently said it’s no problem, they they are a dog friendly campus and they will speak with the caretaker as he has a little dog, so I can buy her a comfy safe crate, pop her in it and get her on breaks and lunch.
    I am elated !!! So for all those who are doubtful, sometimes all you need to do is make a plan, live in hope and the worst thing that could happen is get refused. But I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    After uni I am an osteopath, I can choose my working hours, and I will make it suit Blue. I maybe even open up a clinic from home, who knows ? But she comes first. And Red-squirrel osteopathy is not a pseudoscience.. we are not clairvoyants we are therapists that believe in all treatments apart from drugs... surely that should be the way we practice as a society
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They do animal osteopathy at the campus. It’s a very small school of osteopathy, so bringing Blue was not absurd and they said others bring dogs, but I assume that’s more for one day occasionally, but they’re happy to find a safe place to sort Blue. She is so well behaved and trained by me to be very behaved , plus she is more like a big hamster size lol. So it seems I can actually function with the weight of worry off my shoulders, as I was so anxious leaving her and also losing our close companionship
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you found a solution!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    UPDATE ON THE POST.I THINK everyone under estimates how much I LOVE MY DOG. I got her at 12 weeks old, I don’t have ANY FAMILY in this country, she is my best friend, I went part time for her, so I could be with her during the day. she comes first and always will. She sleeps in my bed (she’s only 2.5 kilos so is a tiny thing ) I don’t have a social life and before i am judged. I dont want one lol. Ok so leaving her made me consider deferring or giving up my uni place. so I went and spoke to the well-being officer and guess what... I can bring her along with me. They apparently said it’s no problem, they they are a dog friendly campus and they will speak with the caretaker as he has a little dog, so I can buy her a comfy safe crate, pop her in it and get her on breaks and lunch.
    I am elated !!! So for all those who are doubtful, sometimes all you need to do is make a plan, live in hope and the worst thing that could happen is get refused. But I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    After uni I am an osteopath, I can choose my working hours, and I will make it suit Blue. I maybe even open up a clinic from home, who knows ? But she comes first. And Red-squirrel osteopathy is not a pseudoscience.. we are not clairvoyants we are therapists that believe in all treatments apart from drugs... surely that should be the way we practice as a society

We aren't underestimating how emotionally dependent you are upon your dog at all.

It's good that somebody has agreed to keep it in a crate for you at no charge. Hopefully, they won't ever be off sick, get another job or retires in the next four years or so. It still wouldn't hurt to look into dog walking services for times where the friendly caretaker isn't around to help you out.

(for what it's worth, I do think that osteopathy/manual therapy has a place in treating some conditions. Just as long as the practitioner isn't advising against essential medication, ignoring interactions and contradictions because they' don't believe in drugs' or flogging supplements of dubious provenance, they're more than welcome to continue to do so).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • phryne
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »

That IS good news :T

Some people are very negative by nature and see only the problems (real or imagined). Try not to let them get to you.

Well done to you.
  • Adly812
    Options
    Thank you so much, I was worried sick and looking for ideas, thoughts and advice. I even considered buying a motor home and parking her on campus lol.
    The caretaker won’t be responsible for her, but they mentioned he has a dog so the two might like company. But I think and hope she will just have access to a room with her crate and I can leave her securely whilst I’m in a lecture and the. Get her every 90 minutes �� if it does not work, I’ll fly my mum over from Africa every few months to split the term up a bit.
    Or ask an elederly neighbor to pop in during the day... but hey let me start next week and see how it goes . Anything for this little treasure lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure