PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Subsidence & remortgaging

Options
Hi All,

After some serious advice, not sure if this is the right place to post.

We bought our first home in December last year, the previous owner left the house in a disgusting state, even though it was immaculate when we viewed it in the August.

The boiler was knackered and the cooker, so we have had to stump up £3k within the first month of being here.

We have now noticed that the house is subsiding, clearly obvious from tthat he outside, our bay window is jutting out and sinking. Being a builder he clearly knew this was happening but didn’t disclose.

We are due to remortgage next December, now worried we will be stuck paying our extremely high rates and not be able to swap or reduce,

Is anyone able to give me some solid advice as I don’t know what to do, we have insurance for buildings, but extremely worried anout remortgaging.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Tia: :(

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September 2018 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Dcaswell wrote: »
    Hi All,... the house is subsiding, clearly obvious from outside,,,, Being a builder he clearly knew this was happening but didn’t disclose...
    Tia: :(
    Sympathies; but don't panic. You have no call on the vendor regrettably, as unless he'd actually had a professional opinion which revealed damage, or there had been past underpinning work, and that he lied about this when your solicitor asked via his (as they routinely do) it was down to you to rely on your own survey.

(and I can't blame you if you didn't commission one, or only relied on a Homebuyers, as I never bother, preferring to take a builder round when buying)

If it's only the Bay Window pulling away, that isn't such a big deal, and although ultimately (and assuming you declared honestly to your insurer that you knew of no past problem) insurance would cover any major problem, I'd be inclined to try to assess the extent of the problem before running to the Insurer.

My neice did that - an over-reaction to a decorator, who, when challenged about a minor crack on the bay which he'd not filled, said "subsidence"... and the Insurer's over-cautious contactor did an 4rse covering over-cauatious survey and chased her for a couple of thou excess on the work for years... She did nothing; just filled the crack, and many years later, it hasn't moved at all.

So if it was me, I'd try to get an opinion from someone I trust (whether builder or surveyor- although I prefer the former) on diagnosis., solution and cost; then run for the insurer only if it was lots more than my excess... An ad hoc and pragmatic approach, but that's the way I am.

Good luck
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you sign to up another deal with the same lender, are they going to ask any awkward questions?
  • Dcaswell
    Options
    Unfortunately it’s through the centre of the house, we have discovered the floor is lower on the internal wall, we are attached to another house (semi),

I’m not worried about contacting the insurers as we were honest as we didn’t know there was any issues, I’m more concerned about the remortgaging side of it, worried we’ll be stuck with e very expensive mortgage, we’re being stung for fixed 2 yrs and looking forward to getting a lower rate,

Thanks for your advice
  • Dcaswell
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by awkward questions? We weren’t aware the property had subsidence
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure