PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Complex Right To By / Ownership Situation

Comments

• He/she was jumping to conclusions about a situation without knowing all of the facts! How rude to suggest we would commit to something like a house purchase without considering all scenarios!?

People should be able to ask questions in forums like this without fear of someone attempting to ridicule you.

“I knew you and your mother wouldn’t have thought this through properly”

How utterly and completely rude.

Completely irrelevant, however when my gran passes away, my mother will live with me rent free for as long as she wants to and should the day come she ever needs care, it will be in a privately funded care home and not state funded.

@taff, I appreciate this is a much as you know however, as you occasionally find on these forums, someone has had a similar experience and may know a little more? That seems to be less and less the case and people prefer to take this opportunity to belittle individuals in what is nothing more than bullying.

Shameful
  • Why exactly do you want to get your mother's name off of the deeds?

We her name removed from the deeds to allow me to mortgage the house to release the equity for redevelopment. The house, as with most ex council is in need of renovation.

My mother and I together can only get a 10 year mortgage, however, I alone can get a 25 year.

It may not be possible for another 3 years but if someone has been through similar I’d like some relevant advice

Thanks
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2018 at 7:36AM
    another right to buy fail thread. OP you bought it WITH your mother at the tax payers expense knowing that your mother is significantly older, any new mortgage would be difficult.

What will you do should you get your transfer request but your grandmother had to sell her house to fund the care home fees? Where will your mother live? Private care home fees are not cheap??

Is it you and your mother in the house before? What happens if the family expands? will there be enough room? Privacy for both you and your mother??

The house isn't yours, it's both yours and your mother's

As above get legal advice as any attempt at deprivation will be frowned upon
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Another waste of time response.

What a joke
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    c00k1e316 wrote: »
    Another waste of time response.

What a joke

popcorn1-378x500.jpg
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 7:54AM

What a joke

No - you're not seeing that the joke is that you've entered into an agreement that you now want/need to get out of without understanding the implications.

Verbal agreements of 'she'll be ok whatever happens, she can always live with me' will not stand up and no solicitor in their right mind is going to agree that from her point of view this is an acceptable deal. !!!! happens during life and in removing her from the deeds you're removing any stability that she's built up over the years during her council tenancy and subsequent joint ownership.

Is the deal-breaker genuinely that you 'need' a 25yr rather than 10yr mortgage to carry out renovations ??

Out of interest what's your plan if the council say no to the transfer or look to charge you the fee ?
  • You may not have to pay back the discount if you transfer ownership of your home to a member of your family. You’ll need to agree this first with your landlord and then get a solicitor to do this for you.

The above tells you what you need to do.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

It may not be possible for another 3 years but if someone has been through similar I’d like some relevant advice
    Even if they have, that advice would be relevant only to their council at that time.

There are some things that just aren't knowable in advance; you had all the info you're going to get in your first post. It implies individual circumstances are key.

I have an ongoing situation involving my council. It would be no use at all me asking about it here, as even the council administering places half a mile down the road acts in a different manner from mine.
  • c00k1e316 wrote: »
    Shameful
    Stealing from your Mum is shameful.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 12:17PM

What a joke
    nothing complex about your situation at all. Your mother had the right to buy, you were merely a party to it as a resident, but not the tenant. All normal stuff when the child eyes up the easy money they set their hearts on in terms of the discount on their parent's home.

Now why can't you wait another 3 years before the redevelopment? As your mother is no longer living there why the rush to "redevelop", could it be perhaps so you have a nice property all ready and waiting to be sold in 5 years and 1 minute's time?

If you are unable to use the search function on here to read other's experiences, and don't like the answers you've got so far, then follow your own advice and ask the council, then see a solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure