Government publishes no-deal Brexit plans for EU roaming, passports and more - MSE News

Options
2»

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Why do you write "should" not "will" then? Not mentioned here. So an irrelavant strawman. Err, yes, as the article states: But it seems some people don't want us to try to do a deal on this and other issues.

Who wouldnt want a deal on common sense ideas. Not being funny but we where told yesterday our driving licences wouldnt work, etc etc. No one has said they want that to happen and for the most part it seems completely unneccessary.

It should be a given really. Its not a prerequisite of being in the EU so the only logical reason for us not being able to use our driving license in the EU is because the EU dont want us to. What dealings do we need to have with that? Its like the 4 freedoms, they say we need to sign up to all to get one, thats the deal. I get the impression that isnt acceptable to the UK electorate, fair enough, no deal on that.

Making a hoo har about something that will cost £5 per year for the licence or maybe an unexpected £30 bill by the unsuspecting punter for data roaming.

You talk of strawman, no one is against allowing people in the EU to drive on our roads or vice versa (maybe a few, not enough to be arguing tit for tat over driving licenses though really).

It seems like something else to complain about brexit?

As mentioned before id give everything i own to have the 1 in 60 million odds being in the UK as opposed to the 1 in 500 million odds of being in the EU. Self determination is paramount to my existence. Im not selling that for a £50 phone bill.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Who wouldnt want a deal on common sense ideas. Not being funny but we where told yesterday our driving licences wouldnt work, etc etc. No one has said they want that to happen and for the most part it seems completely unneccessary.
    Err, it's a list of things which might happen, if we don't get a deal. No-one has said driving licences won't work.
    It should be a given really. Its not a prerequisite of being in the EU so the only logical reason for us not being able to use our driving license in the EU is because the EU dont want us to. What dealings do we need to have with that?
    Some sort of deal.
    Its like the 4 freedoms, they say we need to sign up to all to get one, thats the deal. I get the impression that isnt acceptable to the UK electorate, fair enough, no deal on that.
    Says who? There was no referendum on those.
    Making a hoo har about something that will cost £5 per year for the licence or maybe an unexpected £30 bill by the unsuspecting punter for data roaming.
    People have ended up with bills of thousands when roaming outside the EU. But actually I agree, it's a minor issue.

The far bigger issue, which they haven't said anything about yet, is the EHIC. For healthy people it's not going to be an issue, as they can get travel insurance at a reasonable price, but for people with pre-existing medical conditions, travel insurance can be prohibitively expensive - such people currently rely on the EHIC for emergency treatment abroad. So such people may no longer be able to travel abroad.

You talk of strawman, no one is against allowing people in the EU to drive on our roads or vice versa (maybe a few, not enough to be arguing tit for tat over driving licenses though really).
    Another strawman. It's not a matter of "allowing", it's a matter of what type of documentation is required.
    It seems like something else to complain about brexit?
    It's a practical list of potential changes. Like I asked earlier, why are Brexiteers so defensive whenever anyone mentions potential adverse implications of Brexit? It's as if they thought there'd be none. Or is it all "project fear" :rotfl:
    As mentioned before id give everything i own to have the 1 in 60 million odds being in the UK as opposed to the 1 in 500 million odds of being in the EU.
    That doesn't even make sense.
    Self determination is paramount to my existence. Im not selling that for a £50 phone bill.
    Hint - this isn't a discussion about the pros and cons of Brexit. It's a discussion about the practical implications of Brexit. So I don't really care what's paramount to your existence.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Err, it's a list of things which might happen, if we don't get a deal. No-one has said driving licences won't work. Some sort of deal. Says who? There was no referendum on those. People have ended up with bills of thousands when roaming outside the EU. But actually I agree, it's a minor issue.

The far bigger issue, which they haven't said anything about yet, is the EHIC. For healthy people it's not going to be an issue, as they can get travel insurance at a reasonable price, but for people with pre-existing medical conditions, travel insurance can be prohibitively expensive - such people currently rely on the EHIC for emergency treatment abroad. So such people may no longer be able to travel abroad. Another strawman. It's not a matter of "allowing", it's a matter of what type of documentation is required. It's a practical list of potential changes. Like I asked earlier, why are Brexiteers so defensive whenever anyone mentions potential adverse implications of Brexit? It's as if they thought there'd be none. Or is it all "project fear" :rotfl:That doesn't even make sense. Hint - this isn't a discussion about the pros and cons of Brexit. It's a discussion about the practical implications of Brexit. So I don't really care what's paramount to your existence.

No they didnt, all a big hoo har though of what is essnetially 'well let you drive over here if you let us drive over there'. I know your EU through and through for your desire for paperwork, i suspect 5 minutes on word, some printer ink and paper would provide the necessary documentation needed. I like to think of myself as pretty practical, doesnt seem that hard.

EHIC's. Well you win some you lose some, considering its mainly the elderly who struggle with travel insurance and mainly the elderly who voted brexit, i think they can live with it.

Who said it? the EU, there wasnt a referendum on it because thats not how the EU works... I think most EU leaders along with most MEPs have said words to those effect since brexit came about. Thats completely fair enough, shouldnt stop polish drivers here though nor british drivers in the EU really.

As to why im defensive, you can call it that, i wouldnt call myself that, more highlighting the ridiculous over dramatisation of it being a huge issue that you might not be able to go round europe a whopping year and a bit before your passport expires. That is of paramount importance, needs to be discussed and sorted out immediately, lets put brexit on hold approach that just needs laughing in the face of.

Im in the beginnings of parenthood and have discovered that you need to nip silliness in the bud as soon as possible otherwise hysteria can ensue.

Errrr, just wanted to errr you back. Errrrrrr. (thats another one learnt from spending too much time with 2 year olds and remainers)
  • zagfles
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    No they didnt, all a big hoo har though of what is essnetially 'well let you drive over here if you let us drive over there'. I know your EU through and through for your desire for paperwork, i suspect 5 minutes on word, some printer ink and paper would provide the necessary documentation needed. I like to think of myself as pretty practical, doesnt seem that hard.

EHIC's. Well you win some you lose some, considering its mainly the elderly who struggle with travel insurance and mainly the elderly who voted brexit, i think they can live with it.
    Or my friend who was terminally ill and wanted to have a last holiday abroad. Still, no big deal, eh?
    Who said it? the EU, there wasnt a referendum on it because thats not how the EU works... I think most EU leaders along with most MEPs have said words to those effect since brexit came about. Thats completely fair enough, shouldnt stop polish drivers here though nor british drivers in the EU really.

As to why im defensive, you can call it that, i wouldnt call myself that, more highlighting the ridiculous over dramatisation of it being a huge issue that you might not be able to go round europe a whopping year and a bit before your passport expires. That is of paramount importance, needs to be discussed and sorted out immediately, lets put brexit on hold approach that just needs laughing in the face of.
    It's called being prepared. Why do you have to have to make such a big deal out of MSE or the govt highlighting a few issues we need to be aware of?

Someone with a holiday planned for April 2019 need to know asap that their passport issued in March 2009 and with an expiry date of Dec 2019 may not be valid in the EU in April 2019. And the likes of MSE will tell them even if people like you get all defensive and think they're having a go at them.
    Im in the beginnings of parenthood and have discovered that you need to nip silliness in the bud as soon as possible otherwise hysteria can ensue.

Errrr, just wanted to errr you back. Errrrrrr. (thats another one learnt from spending too much time with 2 year olds and remainers)
    Congratuations! But I think you need to catchup on your sleep, you seem to be rambling incoherently.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options
    Err, it's a list of things which might happen, if we don't get a deal.

Let's get this right, it's a list of the negative/bad things that might happen which then allows the non democratic remainers to have a field day.
  • zagfles
    Options
    Let's get this right, it's a list of the negative/bad things that might happen which then allows the non democratic remainers to have a field day.
    Yawn. Not another one.

First point - it's not undemocratic to discuss or complain about the implications of a democratic vote. Labour spend all their time complaining about what the Tories do. And if Corbyn wins the next election, the Tories are sure to complain about the mess he makes of the economy. Is that "undemocratic" in your universe?

Second point - this thread isn't about the rights or wrongs of Brexit, it's about the practical implications. So no need to get so defensive.

Try sticking to the point of this thread. Go over to DT if you want a slanging match about whether Brexit was a good idea or not.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options

Try sticking to the point of this thread.

Oh the irony..........:rotfl::rotfl:
  • .string.
    .string. Posts: 2,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    This is Government scare mongering to try to con people into believing Mrs May's bad deal is better than no deal at all.

It is EU law that mobile phone companies cannot charge for roaming within the EU. We are incorporating all EU law into domestic law. So nothing should change.

There was a similar scare story saying credit card surcharges could return. No they couldn't. Parliament has passed a law making them illegal.

You may need an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU. Well you might, but you don't need one to drive in the US, Canada, Australia etc etc. And Americans don't need an IDP to drive in France or Germany, so why should we? But if the EU decide to be bloody awkward, we just impose the same requirement on their citizens. You can get an IDP from main Post Offices for £5.50 and it lasts for a year.

Your first para - that could indeed be the case, except for the bad deal part, we don't know the result yet,

I also checked on the orocess for getting an International Driving Permit
    From here (your source also I presume)
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit
    It is stated
    Why apply with us?

o. Only £5.50: no additional charges
    o. Valid for 12 months – use your permit on as many trips as you like
    o. Flexible start time – we can delay the start date of your permit up to three months from when you apply
    o. How long does it take to complete the process - The process takes around 5 minutes to complete

Aoart from how cheap it was what struck me was that it is said that it takes just 5 minutes, so just a rubber stamp. As you say, a pointless exercise, but I will probably spend my five quid in January, ready for a trip I plan in April..
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Part of the EU/EEA roaming 'deal' places caps on the cost to the UK network by the local EU/EEA network. Petite Angleterre legislation doesn't apply abroad.

Send in the gunboats I say...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport