PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Finding out when my property was built

I am trying to organise contents insurance for my home but am having trouble finding out when my property was built. I told the insurance people that I have no idea and can't seem to find any information online, then they told me to guess but to be careful as if I am wrong by 10 years either side it could mean my policy is void! Wondering if anyone could help. Living in London in a Grade 2 listed house, I know its old but not sure how old! Thanks

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought the land registry would be the place for this.

https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/how-old-is-my-house/
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it's listed then look up the listing - it should give a reasonably educated idea of when it was built. I wouldn't worry too much about it though - it really won't make a difference to a claim whether your house is from the 1860s or the 1880s! They're really just looking for a rough idea of the era.
  • Thanks David, It's not listed, I am renting it. I don't even know what era it would be! Maybe best to speak to an estate agent
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    spencer0 wrote: »
    Living in London in a Grade 2 listed house
    spencer0 wrote: »
    It's not listed
    Eh?

Anyway, you could also try seeing from old maps when the street was first developed, look up details of local history, or just stick a photo up here and people will chip in with their suggestions.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 3:37PM
    Why does an insurance company need to know the age of your house for contents insurance? Are properties of a certain age more likely to be burgled or catch fire? Is an 1840s built house more vulnerable than one built in the 1860s?

Pity you can't post a photo, as we could probably give you a reasonably accurate idea
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why does an insurance company need to know the age of your house for contents insurance? Are properties of a certain age more likely to be burgled or catch fire?

Pity you can't post a photo, as we could probably give you a reasonably accurate idea

This is just what I was going to ask. I would have thought that the age question would be more likely in a building's insurance policy not a contents one.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You say in your first post that the house is grade II listed, so look at https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/ put in your post code and it will be there.

Property I live in is there and it says built around 1827 - 1832. Yours should say something.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Following on from lincroft and cakeguts' posts, what type of insurance are you trying to find? The age of the property would under must circumstances only be relevant for Buildings cover, and as a tenant you have no need to buy that. As they both point it, it shouldn't be asked for Contents cover, and if it is it would be simple to find other insurers who don't ask.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    It shouldn't be asked for Contents cover, and if it is it would be simple to find other insurers who don't ask.
    In my experience (admittedly limited), it's asked for contents cover.

I presume because if something catastrophic happens to the building, which may be more likely in old properties depending on the nature of the catastrophe (wouldn't be surprised if some older buildings had higher risk of fire, perhaps also damp, leaking roofs, the house falling down from sheer age?), it may also damage the contents.
  • Do you have the original (paper) deeds for your house?
    When you bought the house, did you get a survey done?

The year my house was built is listed on both.

If the original deeds are lost, what about asking your neighbours?
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure