New Barclays app feature to show your accounts with seven other banks - MSE News

Barclays has today launched a new feature on its mobile app that will enable all its customers to view their current accounts with seven other banks all in one place...
Read the full story:
'New Barclays app feature to show your accounts with seven other banks'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Well I must be psychic, cause I posted it a day earlier:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893643
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well I must be psychic, cause I posted it a day earlier:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893643

The MSE forum admins don't like it when other people beat them to new stories. They nearly always start a new thread about something even if one is already going and has had lots of replies.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Not much use to me as it only does some of the major banks. Nor Building Societies. I wonder how they decide who their target customers are and what the requirements of those customers are.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd love to see ALL my accounts, including savings - in one app

There are loads of apps that do this. Yolt is my favourite, but there's also Emma and Money Dashboard..
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    There are loads of apps that do this. Yolt is my favourite, but there's also Emma and Money Dashboard..

All of the "loads of " apps that you listed I found rather useless so far. None of them covers all the accounts I need to monitor, every single one of them has some problem handling transfers between accounts, they take an eternity to obtain the most current data, and none of them shows a simple list with all the latest balances. These apps might be useful if you only have two or three accounts to monitor but if you have dozens of current, savings and investment accounts, you have to do all of the aggregation and analysis yourself.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    every single one of them has some problem handling transfers between accounts, they take an eternity to obtain the most current data

not an expert, but I think that's actually problems with the API of your banks. The top nine UK banks have been forced to implement the open banking API, but some of them have not exactly put their all into it. That said, if you haven't tried it recently, there will have been huge improvements since January/February this year.

Outside of the main banks, APIs are optional. In these cases I think Yolt etc just literally page scrape the data off your banking portal, which is slow and inefficient. Monzo and starling both have very good APIs and the accounts on Yolt update nearly instantly. Barclays, or any other user of the Open Banking APIs, will not be able to speed the process up as far as I understand it.

Yolt has a list of current balances. Not sure about others.
    if you have dozens of current, savings and investment accounts, you have to do all of the aggregation and analysis yourself.

That's true, but I also guess if you manage your finances like this then you've made the decision to do the manual work anyway. There'll probably never me a sophisticated app for this, because it's hardly mainstream!

Personally, I have two current accounts (Monzo, Starling), a savings account (Halifax) and a credit card (Amex) and Yolt aggregates them all quite neatly.

Anyway, the point is, I bet that Yolt is still doing it better than Barclays :-)
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When will this go live?
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Not available on my Barclays App?

When it will be available?
  • EarthBoy wrote: »
    The MSE forum admins don't like it when other people beat them to new stories. They nearly always start a new thread about something even if one is already going and has had lots of replies.

You do realise on article creation, the threads are created automatically, right?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You do realise on article creation, the threads are created automatically, right?
    If that's the case aren't they obliged as users in the same way to look to see if anyone has created a relevant posting before starting a new thread for themselves? (I suppose we could ask the mods to merger this thread with that of the OP's for consistency)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport