IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

North Middlesex Hospital A&E Parking Charge

Options
Apologies if this is considered unnecessary as I’ve already posted this on a pepipoo thread and received advice there, was just wondering if anyone here had anything to add.

Driver was attending A&E after a relative had been taken there by ambulance. While parking was initially paid for, the duration of stay ended up exceeding what was paid for. While in A&E, as carer, it was not possible for the driver to leave in order to top up parking, and by the time of leaving due to the stress of the situation parking was overlooked. Relative is registered disabled but blue badge was not present as was taken to hospital by ambulance.

PALS have been emailed, and they have responded by requesting registration number and PCN number in order to share it with the management team who liaise with the parking services.

Who should be contacted and what authority they have has slightly confused me. Should the appeal of the parking charge be done to UK Car Park Management? North Middlesex Hospitals site states “Anyone who is having difficulties with getting an issue resolved should contact nmcarpark@compass-group.co.uk.” Does an appeal need to be made to them as well? Are these two the management team and parking services referred to by PALS? Are PALS allowed to share information / emails sent to them with these companies?

Parking charge is the same as a couple other cases so wording states the date of issue is 16 days after the date of the incident, so doesn’t conform to POFA requirements of notice to keeper. If I can figure out how to add images on mobile will add a copy of the parking charge.

On a side note don’t agree with charging patients for parking but implementing a parking system in which the duration of stay is calculated on leaving, instead of relying on patients to predict their duration of stay, which can be quite difficult in A&E, makes more sense. But I’m guess that would result in a major loss in revenue as there would no longer be any reason to issue parking charges.

Any further clarification or additions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Apologies if this is considered unnecessary as I've already posted this on a pepipoo thread and received advice there, was just wondering if anyone here had anything to add.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=122158

Some of us post on both forums. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2018 at 9:37PM
    Options
    On a side note don!!!8217;t agree with charging patients for parking but implementing a parking system in which the duration of stay is calculated on leaving, instead of relying on patients to predict their duration of stay, which can be quite difficult in A&E, makes more sense.
    Complain to your MP when they are back from their jolly hols, and show them the Parking Bill to make sure they support it.

And ask them if they will add weight by writing to the Hospital/PALS on your behalf.
    Should the appeal of the parking charge be done to UK Car Park Management?
    It's utterly pointless because UKCPM are knuckle-dragging ex-clampers who will turn it down outright, and IMHO they should NEVER have been granted an NHS contract.

But yes, so that PALS or the Hospital don't say you didn't bother to try to resolve it. What the heck are they doing granting a contract to this ex-clamper firm to let them harass patients and staff and visitors, with no access to a REAL independent appeal?

NO IAS STAGE TO BE TRIED (as fully explained in the NEWBIES thread). It's widely held to be a kangaroo court and you would lose, and the NHS Trust should be ashamed.

Certainly no paying it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ch340
    ch340 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, just an update. I sent in my appeal as the keeper of the vehicle on the website given on the back on the 15 of August and received an automated confirmation email stating I would get a response in 28 days. It’s now been 24 days and I am yet to receive any response, however I have received a second letter in the post titled formal demand saying payment is overdue. Should I try and notify them of my appeal via email / telephone or would not receiving a response within the 28 days be to my advantage? Thanks.

Second letter can be viewed on the pepipoo thread.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    North Middlesex Hospitals site states “Anyone who is having difficulties with getting an issue resolved should contact nmcarpark@compass-group.co.uk.” Does an appeal need to be made to them as well? Are these two the management team and parking services referred to by PALS? Are PALS allowed to share information / emails sent to them with these companies?
    Escalate a complaint (not appeal, call it a FORMAL COMPLAINT) to the above, and ask if they are proud using a notorious ex-clamper, which offers no 'independent' appeal whatsoever because the IAS is run by the same people as their own Trade Body, a scam exposed when Parliament condemned the industry's ongoing ''outrageous scam'' in February.
  • jayess_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone x
  • ch340
    ch340 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Response has been received on day 28 rejecting the appeal. Images of the rejection notice can be viewed on pepipoo thread.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Have you done the complaint to the NHS email now, attaching a copy of this useless rejection letter and telling them that they have a contractor that pays lip service to an 'independent appeals service' (IAS) but it is no such thing, almost no consumers win.

Also attach a copy of the NHS Parking principles, read them first and point out to the trust, where this operation fails to meet the Government policy, and ask what they are doing about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport