How to BEAT school holiday travel price hikes

There's a collective 'GRRRRR' from parents about holiday price hikes when term ends !!!8211; the cost of flights, hotels and package holidays always seems to rocket. Yet the law's plain. You can't take kids out of school for unauthorised vacations without being fined. Fortunately, some simple tricks can help you fight back ...

Read the full blog:
How to BEAT school holiday travel price hikes

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Holiday prices don't go up when term ends. They go down when term starts.

The major package tour companies lose money for the most of the year, and only make a profit during school holidays when demand is high, and they can charge enough to cover the cost of the holiday and make a profit.

The rest of the year, the revenue is a contribution to fixed costs. It is better to sell holidays at a loss and have some income than it is to lay off staff, ground your planes, close hotels, etc.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's a collective 'Hooray' from non-parents about holiday price cuts when term starts
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I feel like we've had this discussion about a million times already... :wall: :wall: :wall:
    Really CBA to go through it all again...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • There's a collective 'Hooray' from non-parents about holiday price cuts when term starts

Even louder from retired teachers, especially those who have just recently enjoyed liberation !!!
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    This argument has been going on for years......we paid through the nose for holidays during the early 90s when it was more expensive as most people booked via travel agents
    As an earlier poster said travel companies etc lose money on quite a few months of the year
    My daughter is a teacher but doesn't complain about prices because the trade off is she gets about 13 weeks holiday a year
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gardner1 wrote: »
    My daughter is a teacher but doesn't complain about prices because the trade off is she gets about 13 weeks holiday a year

You know your daughter best but I think another reason many teachers don't complain (especially on sites like this) is that these threads often turn into teacher bashing.

It generally goes along the lines of how children don't do much at school anyway until they get to exam years at 'big' school and how holidays in places like Disneyland Florida are educational anyway.

P.S. I'd be surprised if your DD feels blessed to have 13 weeks holiday. She's probably totally *nackered from doing 60 hour weeks in term time, gets ill when the holidays start and then goes into school for part of the 'holiday' anyway. Oh and unless she's been teaching for many years, is single or has a well paid partner she probably can't afford much of a holiday anyway.:rotfl:
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    You know your daughter best but I think another reason many teachers don't complain (especially on sites like this) is that these threads often turn into teacher bashing.

It generally goes along the lines of how children don't do much at school anyway until they get to exam years at 'big' school and how holidays in places like Disneyland Florida are educational anyway.

P.S. I'd be surprised if your DD feels blessed to have 13 weeks holiday. She's probably totally *nackered from doing 60 hour weeks in term time, gets ill when the holidays start and then goes into school for part of the 'holiday' anyway. Oh and unless she's been teaching for many years, is single or has a well paid partner she probably can't afford much of a holiday anyway.:rotfl:
    No... does 40 hr week and loves her job,yes... feels a bit tired at end of the week but dont we all, has to go in for 3 days during summer holidays and earns decent money and hubby earns normal uk wage
    This year they are all off to portugal for 2 weeks which has cost a bit more for the 3 of them but early booking of easyjet flights was surprisingly cheap £140 pp return
    Finally she does feel lucky to get 13 weeks a year a lots of her friends have to waste holidays to look after kids during the summer or rely on grand parents
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure