Peoples experiances of WBAC and the like

2»

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    ratrace wrote: »
    Places like wbac are in the business to make money and are willing to buy your car on the spot albeit for not very much, unfortunately that is the price for convivence

I went to them when i had a car i was selling and the chap went over it meticulously and picked faults that most of us would consider wear and tear due to age and miles, he offerd me a silly price so i just walked away and then sold the car privately but the amount of tyre kickers i had to deal with was crazy hence why some people choose to sell thier car via such places.

op, take your car down see what they offer if its to low walk away simple
    I can usually tell a tyre kicker very quickly. I had a few who said they'd come and never arrived then a few who asked for loads of photos of really obscure things (like the wheel arch liners) and then never got back to me. Nowadays, I just list it and state that if they are interested to come and view..... ultimately, if someone wants a photo of the wheel arch liners, then they are probably the kind of person to kick off and moan about something trivial at the time of purchase or after. They can come and view the car and work out for themselves whether it's right for them, I'm bored of stupid games though.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ratrace wrote: »
    I went to them when i had a car i was selling and the chap went over it meticulously and picked faults that most of us would consider wear and tear due to age and miles, he offerd me a silly price so i just walked away and then sold the car privately but the amount of tyre kickers i had to deal with was crazy hence why some people choose to sell thier car via such places.

Advertise your car right privately and if it's a decent car you shouldn't have issues with time wasters. Last few I've sold I've had no problems but advert was very descriptive and included good photos. I'm always amazed by the ads that have rubbish pictures and virtually no details that require lots of contact to determine the actual vehicle info.

Had prices from WBAC before but always managed to sell for higher can very little effort, in one case for over £1000 more. Their adverts mention about how much you value your time, well I'd value a few hours of my time as well worth getting £1000 for.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Or, better still, drive away.
    LOL :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the info and comments, I will try and sell privately, and look at WBAC as a bonus if its a good price.

Regarding selling privately, would it be unreasonable to ask to see the buyers insurance (not just third party cover) and ID if they wanted a test drive? Also, ask to met at my bank when taking the payment in case, pay in and then hand over keys??

CHeers.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    m0bov wrote: »
    Thanks for the info and comments, I will try and sell privately, and look at WBAC as a bonus if its a good price.

Regarding selling privately, would it be unreasonable to ask to see the buyers insurance (not just third party cover) and ID if they wanted a test drive? Also, ask to met at my bank when taking the payment in case, pay in and then hand over keys??

CHeers.

I would say asking to see a driving licence as a form of id is not being unreasonable after all its a stranger turning up to view it, although most people a good honest people you never know who will turn up so yes its best practise

there was a chap i know who had his car stolen on a test drive and if you look online there are videos of people taking cars under the pretence of buying but they are generally high value cars (not trying to scare you but just a heads up)

You will get more by selling private so from an mse point of view its the way to go , you can always fall back on the wbac or trade in

good luck hope you get what your after from it
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport