In a bit of a credit pickle

Options
Good evening - thank you for coming across and reading my thread.

I have encountered a problem and I would like some advice and should anyone have any knowledge on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently completed on a house purchase and I am now paying a mortgage. After I had completed on the purchase and began the mortgage term I thought about taking out an additional loan (not secured against the house, might I add) to cover the cost of home improvements, it took a lot of thinking but this is what I wanted to do. I immediately applied and was approved for a loan of £x with a reputable company that offered an APR of 15.5% APR and from my past experiences of taking out a loan, I felt this was reasonable and affordable in line with my income.

My error was that I further researched and found another finance option tailored towards the particular home improvement I was going to be doing - it was attractive as it was 0% interest for the first year and it worked out to be a lot more affordable. It is at this point I felt that the initial loan affordability seemed a lot less attractive. I therefore decided to withdraw from the initial loan, within the 14 day cooling off period, and I have applied for the much more attractive 0% finance package.

I suppose my questions are: How quickly do the lenders report to the credit reference agencies? Will my new application be affected by the initial loan application? (I can see that my Experian credit report does not list my new loan in my report), I have a very good credit history and have never been late with a payment, will this have a negative impact on my report?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The search will show and the new account, depending on timings. Coupled with the mortgage this may be an issue for some lenders.

Also, given that you were happy with an extremely high rate loan, suggests your credit history and circumstances may be actually be a little patchy.
  • rhysrussell91
    Options
    Thank you for your response. How might a high interest rate loan make a credit report patchy?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Suggesting your credit history looks patchy.

Do you have any outstanding debts - defaults, late payments, credit cards carrying balances etc?
  • rhysrussell91
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I do not have any outstanding dates, late payments or defaults and never have I had any - my credit history is clean and according to Experian my score is currently showing as 945/999. The only outstanding debt I have now is a mortgage (excluding the loan I have just withdrawn from). I used to have a credit card which was a credit builder card.
  • madvicker
    madvicker Posts: 157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To answer your questions:

1. It's about a 6 week cycle for new information to reach Credit Reference Agencies.
    2. Yes, but how much no one can say. Although you have recently got a mortgage and made 2 loan applications, which most lenders won't view in a positive light.
    3. It will be a negative bit of credit history for about 6 months.

15.5% APR is a very high APR loan for anything above £5000. My advice would have been to apply for the 0% finance before cancelling the finance you already have in place. That way you will still have finance in place should they decline your second application.

How much are you looking to borrow?
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    with a good credit history and affordability, a good APR would be from 3% to 9% (i believe)

15.9% APR is what companies like AQUA offer on their loans. high risk borrowers

glass half full - much better than payday and other short term loans!
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    on another note - how much is the amount borrowed? would it not be easier to see about 0% purchase credit cards? this will be dependant on amount borrowed and time frame to pay it off
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what is the APR after the interest-free year? And what is the loan term?
    The saving in the first 12m may well be wiped out after then: what matters is the total cost of the loan over the full term.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The saving in the first 12m may well be wiped out after then: what matters is the total cost of the loan over the full term.

Or to get your head out of the sand and transfer to a better rate if it becomes available to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure