We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mare's Tail infestation! How best to get rid cheaply?

Options

Comments

• Debbie_Savard
    Options
    Prepare some ammonium sulphamate as compost accelerator then accidently spill it on the ground where the mare's tail is growing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancelot-Mistral-Ammonium-Sulphamate-1Kg/dp/B004MMOEH2
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Options
    Glyphosate works but its not quick it needs a good concentration and several repeat applications.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't seen any posts on here about the court case in the US about Round UP/Glyphosate.
    Any reason?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prepare some ammonium sulphamate as compost accelerator then accidently spill it on the ground where the mare's tail is growing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancelot-Mistral-Ammonium-Sulphamate-1Kg/dp/B004MMOEH2

It works out quite a bit cheaper if you buy in larger quantites. This is the best price I could find:

https://lancelotproducts.co.uk/product/ammonium-sulphamate-crystals/
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    slinga wrote: »
    Haven't seen any posts on here about the court case in the US about Round UP/Glyphosate.
    Any reason?
    In the UK people took on board a while ago that tests have shown a potential increased risk of developing cancer after coming in contact with certain levels of glyphosate over a prolonged period.

However, over here we may have a clearer understanding of how that risk has been quantified and related to other activities we do, like eating bacon, breathing city air, sitting in the sun or having barbecues, because those are cancer risks at a similar level.

Some countries in the EU still want to ban glyphosate, though. The problem is what to replace it with and the fact that it's useful. Get rid, and food prices will rise very significantly.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    In the UK people took on board a while ago that tests have shown a potential increased risk of developing cancer after coming in contact with certain levels of glyphosate over a prolonged period.

However, over here we may have a clearer understanding of how that risk has been quantified and related to other activities we do, like eating bacon, breathing city air, sitting in the sun or having barbecues, because those are cancer risks at a similar level.

Some countries in the EU still want to ban glyphosate, though. The problem is what to replace it with and the fact that it's useful. Get rid, and food prices will rise very significantly.
    But why is glyphosate only mentioned in relation to Roundup when there are many other products with similar levels on the shelves.

I'm sure there are people in the UK who say 'I'll stop using Roundup but Weedol or ano will do just as well.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    But why is glyphosate only mentioned in relation to Roundup when there are many other products with similar levels on the shelves.

I'm sure there are people in the UK who say 'I'll stop using Roundup but Weedol or ano will do just as well.
    Because Monsanto originated glyphosate and used the Round Up name. I suppose, as originators, they are liable for the product under US law.

They don't make any royalty money from the product now, as patenting was so long ago; hence all the generics.

This has some way to go yet. Monsanto will appeal.
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically because the chemical firm that developed it originally, Monsanto, was being sued. They produce Roundup. Their patent ran out ages ago, so glyphosate is now used in a load of products, but Monsanto is the company that has the money if you want to sue for millions. Also, juries do like underdogs when they go up against a billion dollar company... the lawyer involved in the case has said it's just the tip of the iceberg - he's obviously looking to feather his nest very well out of not just this case, but future ones. It's very difficult to prove that something does NOT cause cancer after all.
  • JimmySea
    JimmySea Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unknown to myself, I had mares tail growing on my driveway, which I had tarmacked in the past year. The mares tail is super invasive and had pushed up the tarmac in several places. It doesn't sound like a cheap fix and potentially requires the drive to be ripped up dig out and relayed, to ensure all the mares tail has gone. Should the tarmac driveway company have highlighted this before or whilst laying the drive and told me about the issue? They are unwilling to do anything about the issue as expected with such a costly repair. If legal action is required do I have a leg to stand on?
    Many thanks,

• Davesnave
    Options
    You should start your own thread, not hi-jack an old one, as people will often just reply to the first post.
    My thoughts: legal action against tarmac crew? Doesn't compute!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback