Protein yoghurt

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fage total Greek yogurt 5% is full fat
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Double cream is 48% fat content.

You can whizz it up with some fruit and protein powder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/1hhx2f/protein_shake_with_heavy_cream/

https://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/topic/138156-protein-shake-scoop-thick-double-cream-low-carb/

Mascarpone is also about 50% fat and 3-6% protein, add some to cream or cheese sauces etc. Something like steamed fish with a mascarpone-based cheese sauce would be quite light and tasty, but high in protein and fat. Wrap in puff or filo pastry to make a pasty or savoury mille-feuille if you want to add some carbs.

A dollop of cream in porridge for breakfast, another dollop on a scone for afternoon tea, maybe another dollop in a hot chocolate at bedtime.

Old cookery books had entire sections on 'invalid cookery' comprising light digestible meals for building you up in convalescence. The modern equivalent is food fortification / fortified diet and there are guides and recipes online eg this one (intended for care homes, but relevant) or this one
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about making smoothies with nut butter and pea protein added to almond or cows milk, Greek and banana (with or without berry fruit)?
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • anitawilliams
    Options
    Thanks for that link Gers.
  • This demonizing of fat is done by industry to stop blame being put on sugar refined carbs industries taking the blame for processed food I'll health.
    I love fat and fat keeps me from becoming hungry.
    Unfortunately I will be misunderstood by low fat fat demonizing lobby and will be branded unhealthy.
    I love my food,eat real food with shameless amounts of butter and cream plus fat on meat yummy.
    Apparently fat help keep my skin young that along with water,milk,coffee tea imbibing plus an honest indulgence of what I fancy ie all that bad stuff!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd avoid dairy like the plague, it's so wrong that even Dr's say it's good for preventing Osteoporosis etc when it's likely to cause it & unbiased studies back that up. I'd personally avoid any animal based products and go for high protein plantbased, after all, protein originally comes from plants. Sad to say, the person i'd least take nutrition advice from is a medic, as they still push meat for protein, dairy for calcium etc to cause disease as pharmaceuticals is big business

Look into unbiased studies eg The China Study or read How not to die
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'd avoid dairy like the plague, it's so wrong that even Dr's say it's good for preventing Osteoporosis etc when it's likely to cause it & unbiased studies back that up. I'd personally avoid any animal based products and go for high protein plantbased, after all, protein originally comes from plants. Sad to say, the person i'd least take nutrition advice from is a medic, as they still push meat for protein, dairy for calcium etc to cause disease as pharmaceuticals is big business

Look into unbiased studies eg The China Study or read How not to die

I think that the above isn't really relevant for the OPs mum, who is quite mature, and normally independent in relatively good health for her years. I doubt that she will be creating work for the pharma companies ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can get a copy of the Glasgow Cookery book from the library it has a section on recipes for helping an invalid recover (its an old school text book that they still update and print).
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    If you can get a copy of the Glasgow Cookery book from the library it has a section on recipes for helping an invalid recover (its an old school text book that they still update and print).

Gers I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it? xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Floss wrote: »
    Gers I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it? xx

:j

I've got an old copy tucked away somewhere in my house - got it whilst a school girl and used it to do Domestic Science O grade!

I used to aspire to get to the old Do School on Woodlands Road corner...never did and now glad about it.

Thanks - will hunt it out again. The thought of it took me back 50 odd years. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure