PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Have I been mis sold?

Comments

• You’re internet aware enough to find this site and post here but you can’t google how to go to the small claims court? Did you not ask your solicitor when they suggested it? Why do you feel you need specific advice because you are elderly?

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

There.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You fill in the forms here https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Before you do that send a letter giving them opportunity to pay up before you issue proceedings.

There is also a helpful guide here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/?_ga=2.220109401.119001495.1527528036-695702243.1527528035
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Had I thought like you ".....Probably expansion caused by insufficient expansion gap around the edge. Laminate is cheap as chips if you want to replace or use a rug to cover it....."
    I would indeed move on but it is not as you suggest. I have taken the steps of having this problem investigated and it could cost lots to correct. It is a problem with the concrete flooring which is causing the laminate to "erupt" or bulge into bumps all over the area - it is not just lifting the boards up. Had it just meant replacing the laminate I would willingly do so.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 1:22PM
    As already said, the dispute question is about potential disputes with neighbours. It has nothing to do with having a dispute with the previous owners.

I'd be interested to know what the problem is, exactly, but unless you asked specifically and the vendors denied a problem with the flooring, then I don't see what you can sue them for. Houses are not perfect and there is no law that says they have to be sold as such.

You had a survey to look for defects, the surveyor told you they didn't check the floors. So no one checked the floors. If no one asked about the floors, then caveat emptor applies, surely.

Edit: It's not 'flooring', it's the floor; or rather the floor slab or screed and you've described the problem now.

A rug isn't going to hide a genuine bulge in the floor levels. The lack of the rug might make these screws visible, but a bulge in the floor of any significance is noticable when walking over it .
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • System
    Thank you for your advice.

For me to decide "if you genuinely have a case to claim............." is why I am asking for assistance for someone to tell me if I have a case to claim.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 1:23PM
    I wonder what is causing the concrete to bulge; tree roots, subsidence, landslip? If any of those, OMG and your surveyor really should have found that out. Are there no other signs such as cracks in the walls, especially external ones?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I wonder what is causing the concrete to bulge; tree roots, subsidence, landslip? If any of those, OMG and your surveyor really should have found that out. Are there no other signs such as cracks in the walls, especially external ones?

There's no need scaremonger, please. It's perfectly feasible that the problem is only with the slab.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • belvalpat wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice.

For me to decide "if you genuinely have a case to claim............." is why I am asking for assistance for someone to tell me if I have a case to claim.

sorry I was actually trying to be helpful when I posted a link to the website.

It is up to you to decide simply because you have far more evidence than a random bunch on the internet can actually see.

But if you would like to post some photos and perhaps a more detailed explanation of the problem then you never know someone may be able to give you the advice you are now asking for.

Originally I believed your question centered around how to make a claim rather than you actually wanting a decision on whether to make a claim.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 1:46PM
    How many quotes have you had for the remedial work?

Get at least 3 quotes and opinions. As you class yourself as 'elderly', be wary that some might see you as an easy target to frighten when it may be a simple case of rubbish laminate flooring or poorly-laid concrete.

As with any property, there will be something wrong that you only discover on moving in. It could be quite easy and cheap to remedy.
  • System
    The problem with the floor was discovered the day I moved in to the property. Why would I ask a specific question about a problem floor before then? When I viewed the property the rug was in place.

When the survey was done it was not noted. The surveyor told me after his inspection and when I challenged him about it that they do not lift rugs, carpets or furniture.

I agree but is that a question we should all ask?

Call it what you will floor/flooring. I’m sorry if you missed - “ The flooring - concrete base covered with laminated boards - in the dining room is bulging upward in an area that was not seen because it was covered with a rug.

A rug did hide a bulge in the floor levels and the screws left by their failed attempt to correct it.
    The rug and strategically placed furniture nearby prevented walking near to the area was the reason it was not felt underfoot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure