Protein yoghurt

Options
Afternoon-

My elderly and frail DM has been hospitalised twice since 25 June for a sustained AF which is now stabilised with drugs.

She has been told by medics to eat high protein food (she's been bed bound since the end of June and is has lost not only weight but muscle mass) to build herself back up. This advice has included high protein yoghurt like Skyr etc.

These types of yogurt all seem to be low / zero fat, my DM needs full fat dairy.

Is there a yoghurt out 'there' which is full fat and high protein?

Thanks

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gers,

This isn't everyone, but I really suggest giving it a try and experimenting. There's a somewhat flavourless product called Quark. It's soft cheese, 100% fat free, uber high in protein. On it's own, it's not much use, but you can add it into meals etc. A member of my SW group mentioned mixing cordial in. I tried with Vimto sugar free, sugar free orange, sugar free apple etc. It changes the texture from a thick cheese like texture into a smooth yoghurt like texture and is very pleasant to eat...... plus uber high protein, no fat etc.

Give it a try. It might not work for you or you might not like it, but it's ideal for me, so I figured I'd recommend it.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Hi Gers,

This isn't everyone, but I really suggest giving it a try and experimenting. There's a somewhat flavourless product called Quark. It's soft cheese, 100% fat free, uber high in protein. On it's own, it's not much use, but you can add it into meals etc. A member of my SW group mentioned mixing cordial in. I tried with Vimto sugar free, sugar free orange, sugar free apple etc. It changes the texture from a thick cheese like texture into a smooth yoghurt like texture and is very pleasant to eat...... plus uber high protein, no fat etc.

Give it a try. It might not work for you or you might not like it, but it's ideal for me, so I figured I'd recommend it.

Thanks for that - my DM is German and knows Quark well, we used to have it for breakfast mixed with fruits.

She needs full fat and high protein.
  • Kunoichi73
    Options
    Use the quark with some fruit and add some full fat Greek yoghurt. I often add this to my muesli with a good dash of cinnamon.
  • Gers
    Options
    Kunoichi73 wrote: »
    Use the quark with some fruit and add some full fat Greek yoghurt. I often add this to my muesli with a good dash of cinnamon.

That seems a good option - thanks.

Did some digging and found Fage Total yoghurt which may do the trick once the Skyr pot is finished.

Fage Total, 7-oz container
    Calories 190
    Fat 10 g
    Saturated Fat 7 g
    Sugar 8 g
    Protein 18 g
  • Kunoichi73
    Options
    Fage is yummy! If money is an issue, the supermarket own brands are good, but often don't have as much protein in them.
  • Gers
    Options
    Kunoichi73 wrote: »
    Fage is yummy! If money is an issue, the supermarket own brands are good, but often don't have as much protein in them.

Thanks.

https://www.eatthis.com/best-full-fat-yogurt-weight-loss/

Think the 10% Fage is not available in the UK, can only find 5% stock. Back to adding in Greek yoghurt or FF cream.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would something like pea protein powder be useful?

It can be added to all sorts of other foods.
  • Kunoichi73
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Thanks.

https://www.eatthis.com/best-full-fat-yogurt-weight-loss/

Think the 10% Fage is not available in the UK, can only find 5% stock. Back to adding in Greek yoghurt or FF cream.

They must have changed what they supply to the UK market because last time I bought the Fage, it was about 9% fat.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Would something like pea protein powder be useful?

It can be added to all sorts of other foods.

That would be another option, or a reasonable whey protein - but don't buy an expensive one from the Supermarkets or Holland and Barrett, buy it from somewhere like My Protein or Bulk Powders. If you get an unflavoured one, you can add your own flavours to it (coffee powder, Nesquik, fruit juice etc). Unflavoured whey with pineapple juice is nice - add cream (or coconut cream) for more fat.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Does it matter what kind of fat? Is she simply aiming to gain weight?
  • Gers
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Does it matter what kind of fat? Is she simply aiming to gain weight?

Yes, she needs to gain weight and strength. She's not a great meat eater, not veggie though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure