How many people know the full details of your debts?

How many people know about your true debt situation- actual amounts etc.

I prefer to keep ours between my wife and I, however my wife prefers to be more open about it. This is causing some friction!

Comments

• DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Myself, my wife, anyone who has read my diary on here, the fantastic people on the DFW board and the dog - a great listener and loves me even when she has to have Tesco Value Rich Tea biscuits instead of McVities....
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband and everyone on here
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Close friends and my OH.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • elleJay42
    elleJay42 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My OH knows exactly how much and my sister. Turns out she had more debt than me and by me being open about how I was fixing it she opened up about hers and we got her on the road to being sorted too. I don't hide my debt from anyone if they talk about it. The only person I wouldn't tell is my dad but that's because he'd offer to pay it off and I'd hate that. I spent this money, I'll pay it back!
    Total debt at LBM = £4861.03

DFBXmas2018 #91 - £3342 / £3500 (95.4%)

HTB ISA - £0 withdrawn for house purchase! :D
    Wedding Fund £2550 / £5000
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nobody just me :(
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:31PM
    natlie wrote: »
    Nobody just me :(
    aawww….It's good to share... :)
    Although, having said that, I didn't share my debts with anyone either... :(
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Newstart3
    Newstart3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    My close friends, my ex partner and his mother all knew about the extent of my debt. Him and his mother made some pretty !!!!!! comments to people about it when we split up. They insinuated I wouldn't pay the rent and bills up until I signed the house over to him because I was already in thousands of pounds worth of debt and couldn't be trusted.... I was paying all the rent and bills anyway, he only miraculously found the money to pay his own way when I moved out. Bit of a rant there sorry!! I'd not be so keen to be open about it in the future, but then again I will never put myself in the same position again. Not keen on posting personal stuff on facebook, but you can be sure I'm having a debt free party when the time comes and posting photos to facebook lol
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Newstart3 wrote: »
    My close friends, my ex partner and his mother all knew about the extent of my debt. Him and his mother made some pretty !!!!!! comments to people about it when we split up. They insinuated I wouldn't pay the rent and bills up until I signed the house over to him because I was already in thousands of pounds worth of debt and couldn't be trusted.... I was paying all the rent and bills anyway, he only miraculously found the money to pay his own way when I moved out. Bit of a rant there sorry!! I'd not be so keen to be open about it in the future, but then again I will never put myself in the same position again. Not keen on posting personal stuff on facebook, but you can be sure I'm having a debt free party when the time comes and posting photos to facebook lol

All the stuff in your signature that's crossed out; is that the stuff you've paid off so far?
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    In RL a few of my family, a few close / trusted friends, my GF, my boss and of course my sisters n brothers on the DFW diaries board.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • don78
    don78 Posts: 24 Forumite
    I think it!!!8217;s the fact that our debts are so high that makes me embarrassed to discuss it. If we owed 5k, 10k or even 20k then I would feel differently I think. The reality is we owe well into the 60k!!!8217;s if I factor in my wife!!!8217;s 15k debt ( she does have the money to clear her 15k so I tend to not count that bit of our debt in our Totals).

I would hate to see people!!!8217;s shocked reactions to our debt level, it would really get to me. It!!!8217;s hard enough admitting it to myself! My wife is more level headed and is ok with it as we have a plan to clear it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure