Son has mental health problems doesn’t want benefits

Comments

• Just a word of warning, mental health care varies very much, for example in my area despite having bipolar, signs of psychosis, thoughts of self harm and suicide i have been refused access to the mental health team as i "don't meet the criteria" (in other words unless you make an actual attempt on your life you have zero chance of help). Hopefully for the OP it will be better there but be prepared to fight for it.

I feel really sorry that you cannot get the help you should get.

Bipolar is a terrible illness and lifelong, therefore you should get lifelong help from the medical services.

I don't know if it is because of the increase in depression & anxiety scenario over the last few years.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    get a combined welfare and financial power of attorney for him costs £50-75 you can claim some of it back later on online.

And apply for benefits on his behalf as he is incapable of dealing with his own affairs due to his mental condition.
  • poppy10 wrote: »
    They won't be able to do anything about that.

They may be able to expalin to the OP why his condition affects his ability to work.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I feel really sorry that you cannot get the help you should get.

Bipolar is a terrible illness and lifelong, therefore you should get lifelong help from the medical services.

I don't know if it is because of the increase in depression & anxiety scenario over the last few years.
    I think theres a lot more people seeking help (dont get me wrong i dont think its a bad thing if people need help and we are more open talking about it) but services are stretched pretty thin and theres very little funding going into it (despite what the government like to claim)
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They may be able to expalin to the OP why his condition affects his ability to work.
    That won't help if OP's son is refusing to apply for benefits
    poppy10
  • poppy10 wrote: »
    That won't help if OP's son is refusing to apply for benefits

Are you always this negative Poppy??

I haven't seen you come up with any ideas to help the OP?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Are you always this negative Poppy??

I haven't seen you come up with any ideas to help the OP?

Considering the OP hasnt been back in 10 days since asking for help I doubt they are that bothered by anything poppy is saying. (though they did log in 2 days ago)

No one can properly help until many things are clarified. Mental health is far and wide, and simply 'not wanting to work' or 'not wanting to look for work' will not give an automatic entitlement to benefits. But we have no idea how his MH affects him.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    whambam wrote: »
    get a combined welfare and financial power of attorney for him costs £50-75 you can claim some of it back later on online.

And apply for benefits on his behalf as he is incapable of dealing with his own affairs due to his mental condition.

You can't "get" a power of attorney for someone. A power of attorney can only be made by someone who has capacity if they choose to do so and they then decide who they wish their attorney to be.

It is possible to apply to be an appointee for someone (and potentially a finances deputyship if they have enough assets to make it worthwhile) if they can demonstrated to lack capacity around the issue. However if the person has capacity they can choose to make unwise decisions and suffer the consequences.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    You can't "get" a power of attorney for someone. A power of attorney can only be made by someone who has capacity if they choose to do so and they then decide who they wish their attorney to be.

It is possible to apply to be an appointee for someone (and potentially a finances deputyship if they have enough assets to make it worthwhile) if they can demonstrated to lack capacity around the issue. However if the person has capacity they can choose to make unwise decisions and suffer the consequences.

I done it and I can assure you that the person who gave consent had absolutely no understanding of what a power of attorney, the process, their rights and the good old lawyer just pushes it through to get the registration fee that's all they care about the system is a joke.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    whambam wrote: »
    I done it and I can assure you that the person who gave consent had absolutely no understanding of what a power of attorney, the process, their rights and the good old lawyer just pushes it through to get the registration fee that's all they care about the system is a joke.

Shame on you then for allowing it to happen.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure