PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Giving notice to the rental and Deposit

Options
Hi,

We have just exchanged completion in next week.

I was wondering what should we do with the issues in our current rental property so that we can minimise the damage to the deposit.

Background:
  • Rented for last 10 years.
  • No rent rise.
  • Agency was changed last year.
  • Deposit is being protected in the government scheme but originally it wasn't.
  • Landlord only changed Boiler, Fridge freezer, gas hob and washing machine.
  • No renovation done at all since we moved in.
  • Carpets: prob. 15+ old teared at some places (we had to tap it up)
  • Walls Color: Prob. 20+ years old. Some marks (pen/pencil), visible sign of damp.
  • Furniture: Prob. 12+ years old. Some of them are broken due to age.
  • One of the bedroom door has screw losse on hinge. I tried to tight it up but it gets loose.
  • The agency have stopped doing visits since last 9 months (their three monthly).

The property is not in the state when it was originally rented but its been 10 years and all is wear/tear and use. When we started renting it, everything was old.

Any idea?

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Your rental agreement should define what you are responsible for during your tenancy, and when you give notice.
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    After 10 years there will likely be little to deduct as wear & tear is counted. Just give it back as best you can, hoover/dust/wipe over etc.

If any deductions are attempted you go to the deposit scheme & dispute it.

I'd maybe get a magic sponge on scribbles tho, that's not wear & tear & not worth an argument over
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Notice

You give absolutely zero information about the tenancy agreement so we cannot comment on the notice required:

* fixed term? Exact dates please
    * Periodic from the start? Notice specified/agreed at the start?
    * Fixed term at start now expired? Any clause in the tenancy agreement about subsequent periodic tenancy? Date fixed term expired?
    * Rent weekly? Monthly? Quarterly?

Deposit
    1) Given the length of the tenancy, and age of the carpets, decor etc, it is likely any deterioration would be 'fair wear and tear'.
    2) the new boiler & white goods should obviously still be in good condition unless you have damaged them
    3) was there a check in inventory? How does it describe the decor, furniture etc?
    4) date deposit paid and date deposit registered?
    5) do you understand 'betterment'? See link below.

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies about the details...

For first six months it was 6 months AST. Now its monthly rolling. I need to give a month's notice. The tenancy starts from 5th of every month. Rent monthly.

Deposit:
    3) the inventory is vague and missed some of the things; which from memory I had pointed out when I first moved in. None of the things were new when we stared this tenancy 10 years ago.
    4) One thing to notice that the previous agency failed to register the deposit under the deposit scheme. Then the agency realise this and contacted me for my approval which I had provided and its now under deposit protection scheme. This was 2 years ago.
    5) Thanks I'll have a look.

Thanks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need to give a month's notice.
    Based on what?
    G_M wrote: »
    Notice

* Fixed term at start now expired? Any clause in the tenancy agreement about subsequent periodic tenancy?

3) the inventory is vague and missed some of the things; which from memory I had pointed out when I first moved in.
    well that was remiss of you. You should have corrected the inventory before signing it.

None of the things were new when we stared this tenancy 10 years ago.
    But some of them were new during the tenancy

4) One thing to notice that the previous agency failed to register the deposit under the deposit scheme. Then the agency realise this and contacted me for my approval which I had provided and its now under deposit protection scheme. This was 2 years ago.
    4) date deposit paid and date deposit registered?
    please answer the questions.
  • ric1982
    edited 10 August 2018 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Notice will be from the start of date. so I guess its 5th of the month.

No subsequent tenancy clause. Its just monthly rolling.

>well that was remiss of you. You should have corrected the inventory before signing it.

I got inventory when we moved in the property, we had no way of verifying the document with the actual contents in the property.

>date deposit paid and date deposit registered?

Update:
    Date paid: In 2008 Registered in 2008
    Deposit Updated in : In 2015 (Not sure what this means)
  • ric1982
    Options
    btw I have given the notice yesterday but haven't heard anything from anyone since then. I have called the agency and they told me that the notice period starts from 5th so I missed the notice period date by 4 days! meaning I now have to pay extra month's rent + whatever they charge for damages from deposit and may be then some.

Really worried that I will be out of pocket!
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask for your Agent/LL to visit the property in advance of leaving if you are that concerned.
    However as above pretty much most things will be wear and tear coming to the end of their life expectancy anyway.

It makes sense they ask you to pay the extra month. It isn't an extra month really, its just you didnt think to look into it sooner, which isnt your LL fault.
  • ric1982
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    It makes sense they ask you to pay the extra month. It isn't an extra month really, its just you didnt think to look into it sooner, which isnt your LL fault.

We have only just exchanged contract yesterday. Believe me I tried!! but we missed the 5th date for one reason or another (out of my hand). Just really annoyed. Could I put request to my landlord to consider earlier exit without paying extra rent. Of course I will be paying until I stay at the property.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can ask...!!!8230;. they may suggest if they can get a tenant sooner then they will refund the difference.

But its easier said than done. Also it will be a bit hard to do if you don't know what date you intend to actually leave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure