Paying in cheques with debit card but I don't know my PIN

Options
Hi all.

I need to pay in a number of cheques (none more than £40) and want to pay in to my Santander account - I never use the debit card when out and about and do not know my PIN :T. Does anyone know if you can walk in to branch and ask to pay in the cheque without the PIN or is that a must?

Otherwise I'll have to go to HSBC branch which is much further away from me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They should still be able to take the payments as your debit card has your account details on it, which the cashier can enter manually.

While you are there, ask the cashier to get the bank to post out a reminder PIN for you. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pay them in at the post office, if you have any of the envelopes. If you don't have any get some, they may come in handy.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I believe that Santander require you to have your pin when making any transaction, they should be able to pay in on this occasion and order a new pin out to you.

If this is not suitable you will either have to use HSBC with counter credits (although not all branch allow this now due to closures and removal of paper paying in slips) I do not know if the paying in machine allows you to type in the sort code/Account number or you need a pin for their machines, but seems like Santander is closer and get a replacement PIN number.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Pay them in at the post office, if you have any of the envelopes. If you don't have any get some, they may come in handy.

Envelopes? Sorry but don't quite understand how that relates to a cheque :eek:. The cheques came from rebates from mobile phone companies (mobiles.co.uk ) and a few from family for my birthday.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I’ve recently paid in to NatWest and TSB without a card. I just tell them my details from my phone.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    shapala wrote: »
    Envelopes? Sorry but don't quite understand how that relates to a cheque :eek:
    https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/help-support/ways-to-bank/banking-at-your-post-office clarifies that cheque deposits require:
    A personalised paying in slip and a deposit envelope along with the cheque(s) you want to deposit

[...]

To use this service, you'll need to pre-order paying in slips and deposit envelopes by calling 0800 9 123 123.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP do you have a mobile app for Santander banking?
    Do they let you pay them in by taking a photo of the cheques?

If so problem solved.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you should know what the pin is even if you change it to 1 you know.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My post office has the envelopes for all banks , i usually just go in and ask for one .
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update: I realised I have a TSB branch a 20 min bus ride so went there this morning and paid in the cheques. Was asked for photo ID and fortunately had my driving license on me but everything paid in and since I never use TSB (only opened the accounts for the interest which is now 5% up to £1500) I also didn't know the pin.

Anyway, all done. Thanks for the replies and I'll remember to get some of these envelopes and maybe just use the PO in future as that's a 5 minute walk from where I am so much more convenient.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure