PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlady wanting to take money from deposit, can I refuse viewings?

Options
13»

Comments

• Essiewoo
    Essiewoo Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 2:54PM
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Upkeep after you've gone is her responsibility.

TAKE photos as close as possible to the date you leave.

Evidence will be taken into account e.g. photos and what you agreed to at the start (usually there is an inventory).

Tarmac is mega bucks.
    it should not be possible to damage it.
    Was the damage there before? When/how did it happen?

We've no idea how its happened. It's a patch in the middle just a bit bigger than A4? It isn't on any photos, just the stone area.She has said the tarmac will cost £75 + VAT to replace so who has been to look at it, if it IS on the property (without our permission)...
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Document everything and go via the deposit dispute scheme. It's designed for situations like this. Keep your statements calm, factual and neutral; it's not relevant to mention babies/maternity leave.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Essiewoo wrote: »
    I don't know if this matters but we moved in on the 8th of the month but the landlady requested we pay the rent on the 5th. Which we did. (I'm just clutching at straws here to help our case) Her partner that lives next door allows his dog into the garden and do their business...
    Well you should've said no...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're getting in a muddle with this. You haven't moved yet, so she can't tell you what needs deducting or not from your deposit. You have until your last day and hour on the tenancy to leave the property as it was when you move spare tear and wear. Ignore any communication from her except to agree a check out inventory. Don't sign anything you don't agree. If she refused to do the inventory with you, take many pictures and make sure you hand the keys on the day your tenancy ends.

Comments about your pregnancy and breastfeeding are irrelevant. It is not her problem and doesn't have to be sympathetic to your condition. Just make sure that you leave the place as you should and then log on the deposit scheme website to claim your deposit back and take it from there.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Essiewoo wrote: »
    We've no idea how its happened. It's a patch in the middle just a bit bigger than A4? It isn't on any photos, just the stone area.She has said the tarmac will cost £75 + VAT to replace so who has been to look at it, if it IS on the property (without our permission)...

This is confusing, you say your driveway is stones so why do you keep talking about tarmac?
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that when you rent a house with a garden, the landlord is supposed to provide the tools to maintain it? A previous EA told me this and I've always been given a lawnmower in any previous rentals. If this is true, did your landlord provide a lawnmower?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that when you rent a house with a garden, the landlord is supposed to provide the tools to maintain it? A previous EA told me this and I've always been given a lawnmower in any previous rentals. If this is true, did your landlord provide a lawnmower?
    That's nonsense.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Hutch100uk wrote: »

no requirement to provide anything on the part of the LL.

Its a bonus if they do but the general rule to a tenant would be you've seen the garden,its yours to maintain during the tenancy agreement and return in accordance with inventory with allowance possibly being made for the season.

How you mow the lawn during the tenancy is your decision and no concern of the LL
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Essiewoo
    Essiewoo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Because the road is tarmac, it's a country lane so no pavements. We park on the stones but it joins the road by tarmac. If that makes sense?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure