Which would you choose as a motorway cruiser?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Question is, is the BMW likely to cost £600 more a year than the Q50 or £324 more than the M6 to maintain? Because that would be the fuel saving.

BMW is likely to cost more in tyres, brakes, consumables, etc than the other 2. You'll also be looking at an older model for the same money.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Don't forget it's not just about cramming features in. It's how those features work and how nice the car is as an experience. Lots of motorway miles means you'll be spending a lot of time in the car. A Daihatsu Sirion has exactly the same features as a VW Polo and costs nowhere near as much, but I know which one I would prefer to be inside everyday.
  • I'll probably get shot down for this.

Would anyone consider an mg 6?

Theyre available online 16 plates with 15k miles for 7k!

Real mpg is 56 for the 1.9 diesel and with a 8.9 0-60.

Would you consider it?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I'll probably get shot down for this.

Would anyone consider an mg 6?

Theyre available online 16 plates with 15k miles for 7k!

Real mpg is 56 for the 1.9 diesel and with a 8.9 0-60.

Would you consider it?

Absolutely not, but that's just me.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd get that checked.... My far-less exciting Focus sits at 2400 rpm in 6th at 70. I don't know what the MX5 sits at but it doesn't sound any higher.

I wouldn't. They're talking about an RX8 which goes up to 11,000 RPM. For revs to change at a certain speed, some serious mechanic-ing would need to happen!

Honda CRV is not a motorway cruiser.

OP's 3 originals are good. I'd want cruise control, adaptive would be even better, and I'd want comfy seats! The Infiniti must have take most depreciation, so if you want to play that game, it's the winner. But is it not a bit of a rubbish diesel engine?
  • `

that's good point and will check it out. When I bought a Citroen c1 brand new almost 2 years ago now (purely for the cost), I had a choice between a 1.0 and 1.2. For some reason, the 1.2 only requires servicing everything 16k whilst the 1.0 is 10k. Quite strange no? that's a big saving in servicing.

Its cheap as chips, everything cheap from the tyres to the breaks but it is so unsettled at speeds >65mph and is simply not very comfortable at high speeds. With a new job on the horizon, I don't think I can live with it. There isn't much choice in the saloon class as the supermini class. I will surely check out the skoda too.

I could do you a good deal on my Mazda 6 - it will only be going to WBAC or similar anyway. The new car arrives end of September.
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I could do you a good deal on my Mazda 6 - it will only be going to WBAC or similar anyway. The new car arrives end of September.

Who isn't interested in a good deal, let me know the details and ill let you know.
  • Who isn't interested in a good deal, let me know the details and ill let you know.

I've PM'd you.
  • timbotambo
    timbotambo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to have a brand new 320d company car and whilst the engine was a belter and you could genuinely get 60+mpg on motorways at 70mph, I found the interior dreadfully drab and cramped. I'd get a 520d if I had the choice.

By coincidence I also once had a 61 plate Mazda 6 estate, Again good engine just oh so boring, again quite cramped, and sold within 10 months.

I now have a Volvo V70. Ok still boring but white cream seats on black interior looks lush, huge spec, feels spacious, and it is superb to drive. D4 engine is a peach too. but not as good as the 2.0d BMW engine.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    BMW are costly to repair and build quality and reliability is not what it used to be.
    ISTR there are fewer Ford Mondeos made than 3-Series Bought-Mainly-by-Wan kers. The Ford is thus the more exclusive car than the Basildon Man's Wheels, which is a volume car - the Cortina de nos jours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure