Stopping a new bath panel turning yellow with age?

Options
Just had a new bathroom fitted but while looking in showrooms I noticed that many bath panels in the displays had yellowing panels compared to the actual bath.

I have established that this is due to a different material being used for the side panels and was wondering how to stop or slow the process down?

I was thinking it was due to UV sunlight hitting the panels but some of the displays are in the middle of the shop.

Any tips or thoughts. The Mrs hangs a towel over the bath so I was also wondering if no light could also make the situation worse?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its because its a plastic bath panel. They yellow over age. To avoid it, don't use a plastic one. Buy a decent quality MDF White gloss panel. Last much longer and are a more robust product.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not quite the answer I was looking for. The bath was not cheap and is a quality high end P shape bath so replacing the panel is not an option as it fits the P
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:55PM
    Options
    You're going to have to do a little work here, but out there on the internet somewhere are some really good discussions on keeping vintage gaming gear & computers gleaming white (or light beige rather than nicotine beige). I'm assuming the same chemistry could work here - since it could well be the same plastic.

Edit: That was easy, here's a starting point I found

http://www.retr0bright.com - you'll need to research further to find something suitable for whole panels, and that assumes it's the same kind of plastic (you could potentially of course wreck the panel completely)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't taking the panel to an automotive body shop and having it sprayed work reasonably well when the time comes?

You could go for any colour you like that way.
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha Ha, I had very fashionable green bath when I moved in during 1990. Think I will stick to a safe white or even a yellowing white if that happens over time.

The issue is always as the years go by the design will change so a replacement panel will be impossible to find due to subtle changes to the P shape.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Build a timber frame under the edge of the bath to support cement boad, leaving an inspection panel for repairs. Then tile with mosaic tiles, and grout with epoxy grout. This won't yellow at all.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    Not quite the answer I was looking for. The bath was not cheap and is a quality high end P shape bath so replacing the panel is not an option as it fits the P

Well it's not the answer you are looking for as you didn't furnish us with all of the information.

I am not telepathic.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure