20 mile detour to home for 3 weeks = 40 miles a day

Options
Hi

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any type of compensation i can claim for the said scenario ?

The council are doing roadworks down the road where i live & have closed the road, this gives 3 members of the family each a detour every day of approx 20 miles. As you can imagine as massive 40 miles per day for 3 weeks is going to cost a lot more on fuel than normal. Any one know if there is anyway to claim cost for the extra miles we are having to endure ?

thank you.

Comments

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, there will not be.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pulls up a chair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they did, they would be (ahem) mollycoddlying you at the expense of everyone else.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If only it was possible Oxford City council would be out of business. That place is a dump as it is, No road improvements would make the place any better, and with the constant road closures i'd have wished compensation was true.

I remember having over an hour waiting/detours just to get round a road some years ago, That lasted 6 months. there were times I'd finish work at 5 and wont get home til gone half 7.
  • mollycoddle
    Options
    Shame if not , i am only asking because the last time this happend was for about 3 weeks for someone to have their roof rethatched & weeks after was told the owner of the house never even had permission to shut off the road in the first place.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    its wrong that it happens, But its gotta happen at some point. I work permanent nights now, So i get all the roadworks and closures. I'd love that to happen during 9-5 hours. That way everyone will be effected and just not me. A person can only dream.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Car share, then it's only one lot of extra cost incurred between the three of you...

TBH if councils paid compo each time they did works no everything would get repaired and people would complain.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    No doubt you would probably want to claim compsensation if they didnt do they work and your car got damaged.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shame if not , i am only asking because the last time this happend was for about 3 weeks for someone to have their roof rethatched & weeks after was told the owner of the house never even had permission to shut off the road in the first place.

Then check with the council to ensure its an authorised closure.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any type of compensation i can claim for the said scenario ?

The council are doing roadworks down the road where i live & have closed the road, this gives 3 members of the family each a detour every day of approx 20 miles. As you can imagine as massive 40 miles per day for 3 weeks is going to cost a lot more on fuel than normal. Any one know if there is anyway to claim cost for the extra miles we are having to endure ?

thank you.

If you think you're badly done to we've had diversions on night trunk runs which have added 80 miles to a run per truck and we run 100 trucks doing an average 9MPG. If hauliers who have their diesel and wage bills increased by £1000s a week because of the various road closures on a night can't get compensation what do you think your chances are?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure