Not a rant about cyclists - just a question

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Exemplar wrote: »
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/299f522k8/
    d (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road)
    That's an odd design ... It means pedestrians are potentially being overtaken on both sides. It also looks quite narrow - so I wonder if some cyclists are avoiding it because of pedestrians tending to use both sides of the dotted line. Shared paths sound like a great idea - but some of them are really badly designed and/or not properly signed.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is the cycle path the narrow one marked by the dotted line on the pavement? It's difficult to say as I haven't cycled there although I don't like these sort of cycle paths here locally as they're usually not maintained and can have quite a bit of debris kicked up by cars, they're narrow, they can be shared with pedestrians, there's no divider to the road and you have to stop to cross junctions and other roads rather than just go along the road.

If I'm on a mountain bike I'm more likely to use these paths as it's much slower and can handle rough terrain whereas if I'm on the road bike I try to avoid them as it's much faster and its slick, narrow tyres and rigid fork are not good on rougher surfaces.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My eyesight is fine thanks. However, I am not the only person on the road.

What is not fine is a person all in back, so so much as a light on their bike or a reflective strip on their clothing against a dark hedgerow cycling under a tree canopy that makes them near invisible on windy lanes with a 60mph speed limit.

Why would anybody be so stupid to leave themselves wide open to the risk of getting hit by a vehicle like that? Complete lack of common sense for vanity.

Oh, and I cycle myself, so no need for motorist bashing.

You should visit your physician if youre seeing things that cant be seen.

If, as i suspect, youre realising the absurdity of your comments or have exaggerated them it would be welcome to point that out.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The vast majority of cycle paths in this country are unusable. Either they stop every 10 metres, leaving you trying to rejoin traffic or cross the road... Or they're inherently dangerous, with concealed entrances where pedestrians appear from, having no idea they're wandering into moving traffic... Or they're filled with debris.

I'd never take a cycle path unless I was familiar with the route and already knew that the path was a good one that wouldn't slow me down.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!

What is not fine is a person all in back, so so much as a light on their bike or a reflective strip on their clothing against a dark hedgerow cycling under a tree canopy that makes them near invisible on windy lanes with a 60mph speed limit.

Why would anybody be so stupid to leave themselves wide open to the risk of getting hit by a vehicle like that? Complete lack of common sense for vanity.

Couldn't agree more, some cyclists have death wishes dressed all in black, riding with no lights on, dodging on & off pavements when it suits them, jumping red lights like they are meaningless. Especially this time of year when the nights are slowly drawing in, to see such cyclists riding around without any cares when it is nearly dark.

Off course a small minority of cyclists actually care and will wear reflective gear, use lights and actually take notice of red lights/pavements, but only a small minority.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    spadoosh wrote: »
    You should visit your physician if youre seeing things that cant be seen.

If, as i suspect, youre realising the absurdity of your comments or have exaggerated them it would be welcome to point that out.

I can't believe anyone would defend such stupid behaviour, but I guess I've hit a nerve?

As for exaggeration, no, I'll take a photo of the idiots next time I'm out on the lanes, there are plenty out there.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, some cyclists have death wishes dressed all in black, riding with no lights on, dodging on & off pavements when it suits them, jumping red lights like they are meaningless. Especially this time of year when the nights are slowly drawing in, to see such cyclists riding around without any cares when it is nearly dark.

Off course a small minority of cyclists actually care and will wear reflective gear, use lights and actually take notice of red lights/pavements, but only a small minority.

Do you have any proof that only a small minority? No, thought not.

Watch any dash cam youtube video and you'll see hundreds of red light jumping motorists, motorists driving on pavements, wrong way down the one way street yada yada
  • Nasqueron

As I said, if you can't see a cyclist then best give up the driving license. Bikes aren't all black, shoes frequently have reflectors on, skin is uncovered etc etc. Certainly there is an issue seeing well in advance if you are not looking, but if you pay attention to the road it's fine
  • Nasqueron
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Good reply again, thanks.

I think we may just be lucky here in Newark that the cycle lanes certainly seem to well kept.

They won't be - rarely gritted in winter, covered in slippery leaves in autumn and ended up filled with road debris is the normal situation (along with pedestrians wandering all over, uncontrolled dogs/kids etc)
  • Could be due to the condition of the cycle path, or there is a slight bump and dip on entry and exit of the cycle path.

Over many miles these decelerations/accelerations and bumps make a big difference to your bike journey.

Personally I cycle sometimes to commute and for fun, and I would rather take the cycle path and get out of the way of cars. However many of these lycra type cyclists seem to think they are immune to any sort of danger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure