PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

3 bed HMO Scotland

was wondering if anyone had any experience of applying for an HMO licence in Scotland.

I have the following questions:

Is the HMO licence granted specifically related to the number of rooms; i.e is there a separate 3bed,4bed and 5bed HMO licence or is it a blanket licence that allows you to rent to as many as legally possible.

How onerous are the regulations or is it a case of basic common sense and safety.

The reason I ask, I purchased a 3 bed flat in a student town a few years ago. I was originally renting the place to my sister and her 2 kids however she has decided to get married and move in with her fiancee.

The flat its self is a generous 3-bed sandstone wth a massive living room and an enormous kitchen/living area.
The flat already meets all the standards as outlined in the HMO rules for the local council, fire/gas/electrical safety etc.

I can command a much greater return renting each room individually to students and if I was to convert the living room to another bedroom I could get an even greater return whilst each tenant having more than ample living space.

in order to rent out to 3 individual people, I would need to apply for an HMO licence which as I understand can take 12 months + which, as I understand it correctly I am unable to rent the flat out while the licence is in progress, is this correct?

Does anyone have any experience of applying for an HMO licence for 3 persons only? I would imagine that the level of work required on the property would be rather small as the house was designed to house 5 people comfortably?

Comments

• If you read my post you will see that my questions are specific - Thank you for telling me how to use google, you clearly do not understand the purpose of a forum.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    That's correct you cannot legally let a HMO without a HMO licence.

There isn't a specific licence for 3, 4, 5 occupants as such but based on the number of rooms and size of rooms available in the property there will be a maximum number of occupants the licence will cover you for.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    fisherja84 wrote: »
    If you read my post you will see that my questions are specific - Thank you for telling me how to use google, you clearly do not understand the purpose of a forum.

I've deleted my post with it's useful information as you obviously know it all anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure