New electrical item with only EU plug

I bought a brand new electrical (computer related) item from a UK company. It has arrived with a EU plug on it and no UK plug.

I thought there was UK law\legislation what said that products sold for domestic use in the UK needs to be supplied with a UK plug (unless its a shaver) but cant seem to find it. Does such legislation exist?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know but the electric toothbrush that I bough recently only had an EU plug on the charger. Luckily I had a spare EU to UK converter, but I did wonder the same as you.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It does. Contact the retailer and ask for the correct version in exchange.
  • StarshipUK
    StarshipUK Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Bathroom equipment like shavers and toothbrushes (with a bathroom\shaver plug) does not count apparently from what i have managed to find.

My item is not bathroom related.

Only thing I have found is this: https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-uk-plug-adaptors.php but no specific evidence to backup the claim:
    New Equipment:

All domestic electrical appliances sold in the UK are required to have a BS1363 plug or conversion plug fitted
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't know but the electric toothbrush that I bough recently only had an EU plug on the charger. Luckily I had a spare EU to UK converter, but I did wonder the same as you.
    An EU plug or one designed to fit in a shaver socket? All electric toothbrushes I've ever bought have the latter.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I doubt it was an "EU plug" rather than a 2-pin shaver socket plug as most electrical items designed to be situated in the bathroom usually have.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    StarshipUK wrote: »
    Bathroom equipment like shavers and toothbrushes (with a bathroom\shaver plug) does not count apparently from what i have managed to find.

My item is not bathroom related.

Only thing I have found is this: https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-uk-plug-adaptors.php but no specific evidence to backup the claim:
    New Equipment:

All domestic electrical appliances sold in the UK are required to have a BS1363 plug or conversion plug fitted
    Who is the seller and are your sure they're based in the UK?
  • StarshipUK wrote: »
    II thought there was UK law\legislation what said that products sold for domestic use in the UK needs to be supplied with a UK plug (unless its a shaver) but cant seem to find it. Does such legislation exist?

Here you go:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/made

Specifically sections 8 & 10 relate to the type of plugs that should be fitted.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    An EU plug or one designed to fit in a shaver socket? All electric toothbrushes I've ever bought have the latter.
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I doubt it was an "EU plug" rather than a 2-pin shaver socket plug as most electrical items designed to be situated in the bathroom usually have.

Well, it's a 2 pin plug that fits into an EU to UK converter as would an EU plug, but you may well be right that it's technically a shaver socket plug. I don't have a shaver socket so I can't test it at home, although I'm not sure I'd want the charger in a watery environment anyway.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    What did you actually buy?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    Well, it's a 2 pin plug that fits into an EU to UK converter as would an EU plug, but you may well be right that it's technically a shaver socket plug. I don't have a shaver socket so I can't test it at home, although I'm not sure I'd want the charger in a watery environment anyway.
    Europlug and shaver plug are 2 different beasts.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/BS_4573_shaver_plug_compared_to_Europlug.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure