PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house

Options
Hi,
I’m looking for some advice. I am currently selling my house and in the fittings and contents list I stated that I was going to take the living room door for my new house (I replaced the door when I moved in-I wanted a nicer looking door and it therefore was more costly than a basic door) Is it a legal requirement for me to replace this door for the new buyers? Please note the only other doors downstairs are the front door and a conservatory door. There is no door on the kitchen. Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the door was missing when people viewed, that's one thing, but I see can buyers being a bit annoyed with you taking a door just because you want it!

Unless they're planning to replace the doors anyway, I'd expect come back from that!

Why do you want the door? Does it actually fit in the new house?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much was the door? £80? Fitting costs? Surely your chippy had to trim and fit the door properly? The chances of it fitting your new house are slim. For the miniscule percentage of the price you are selling your house for, is it really worth taking an internal door with you?

Just buy a new one and have that fitted.

Edited to say, not sure if this is another troll. I have noticed on this forum lately (last 3 months) that there a dozens of new people signing up to ask the most trivial house related questions.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I see multiple issues with this ;

1. Your potential purchasers will think you are strange and may just walk, who knows what other off-the-wall things you'll come up with if you think this is normal?
    2. As said, will it fit the new house?
    3. If its solid oak, worth hundreds of pounds, or has sentimental value, or for whatever other strange reason you really must keep it, replace it now before viewings with a standard B&Q £25 door.

Oh, I see you already stated this. hmmm. OK Id be really worried if i was the purchaser and think you might be one of those types that replaces all the light fittings and pulls up the carpets. A bit too late to ask here really.
    Perhaps just state this was a mistake, and update the form to say you will leave it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you remove or replace the door, this must be made clear to the buyers, who must agree to it.

The obvious assumption of any buyer is that the structure of the house, and basic fittings that they see when viewing, will be part of their purchase.

If I was the buyer and you said you were going to remove the door, I'd insist you not only replace it with a door of a specified standard AND compensate me with a reduction in price.

I would also be highly suspicious of what else you might take and would go through the forms with a fine toothcomb, adding every last thing onto it to avoid doubt.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    If I were your buyer I would think you were either a bit odd, or did your grandfather hand make the door for you? If the buyers viewed with an oak door they will expect one, you can't replace with a cheap pine wickes version. If the door is a painted panel they probably wouldn't notice if it's replaced. When I left my last house I replaced the finials on the curtain rail in the bedroom with similar ones because they matched the hand made iron bed
  • loveka
    loveka Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I told my buyer I was taking the sink. I replaced it with a very similar sink.

This is what you need to do with your door. Of course you replace it!
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NHorse wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m looking for some advice. I am currently selling my house and in the fittings and contents list I stated that I was going to take the living room door for my new house (I replaced the door when I moved in-I wanted a nicer looking door and it therefore was more costly than a basic door) Is it a legal requirement for me to replace this door for the new buyers? Please note the only other doors downstairs are the front door and a conservatory door. There is no door on the kitchen. Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks

Go on - how much was just the door on its own?
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Remind me when it is the schools go back?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    Remind me when it is the schools go back?
    I'm afraid the kids will be around a bit longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure