SD card for dash cam?

GT60
GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 August 2018 at 10:28AM in Techie Stuff
Hi my son is getting the Nextbase Dash Cam 512GW and wondering what size memoery card to get either a 32BG 100MB/s or a 64 GB 80MB/s and what write speed would be good 80 MB/s or 100MB/s
I have just found this card https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd
I dont understand read write speeds
What do you guys think or recommend?
thanks
Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GT60 wrote: »
    Hi my son is getting the Nextbase Dash Cam 512GW and wondering what size memoery card to get either a 32BG 100MB/s or a 64 GB 80MB/s and what write speed would be good 80 MB/s or 100MB/s
    thanks

I would say go for the biggest it supports which is a 128Gb memory card because that is still only 9 hours of footage and it's good to not have older footage overwritten too quickly just in case.

For the type of memory card any decent one will do (a write speed of 80MB/s will be more than enough) but as it's constantly writing to the card a good quality one will be the most important factor.
  • I bought a 64 Gb Samsung Evo SDHC for my NextBase. It’s worked flawlessly for the last 2 years. Probably could have saved a bit and gone for 32 Gb with hindsight. Read/write speeds haven’t been an issue at all.

Tip for the NextBase though, make sure it gets a decent first couple of charges in the house rather than in the car, apparently can cause a failure of the battery.
    Arch
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:45AM
    also Nextbase recommends you format the card periodically to keep it working properly.

I format my 32gb card every month and had no probs

• GT60
    Would this card be a better buy than the rest or is it just a gimmik?
    The speeds are much lower than the rest and i have no idea about what that means
    https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GT60 wrote: »
    Would this card be a better buy than the rest or is it just a gimmik?
    The speeds are much lower than the rest and i have no idea about what that means
    https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd

In regards to the speed the Nextbase Dash Cam 512GW records at a speed of about 3.375 Mb/s so that card will be fast enough.

I would look at some reviews to see which is the best memory card. I always used to use SanDisc and still do in my dashcam but in my phone i had one fail so switched to the Samsung Evo card (which is mentioned above) as this had good results in tests and reviews.
    The SanDisc Ultra in my dashcam has been in there for just over 4 years and it still works fine if that's anything to go by.
  • GT60
    Thank you panic over everyone
    I love this site for help and advice
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd steer clear of Sandisk Ultra cards they are notorious for being particularly bad for dash cams. The best type of card will have MLC NAND technology rather than the cheaper TLC type cards. Probably one the best cards is the Transcend High Endurance cards, slightly more expensive but performs well and should last a lot longer than most. Plus it's one of the few cards where the warranty isn't invalidated if used in a dash cam.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    This site is frequently referred to when choosing cards for dashcams:
    https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards
    I myself got a "Sandisk High Endurance 64GB". So far so good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure