Section 75 for a second hand car

I’m looking to purchase a camper van from a dealer for 10k and wanted to put a small portion of it on credit card to get S75 protection. However they don’t accept credit cards. Is there any way I can overcome this please?

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    do they accept debit card or don't they accept any payment via card?

if they do not accept cards, then unfortunately not.
    IMHO, if a dealer is not setup to accept card transactions, better to stay away
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your faith in the dealer is that shaky that you do not wish to buy without some secondary level of protection then I suggest you walk away and go purchase the camper van from someone in whom you have the appropriate level of confidence.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cobbdu1 wrote: »
    I’m looking to purchase a camper van from a dealer for 10k and wanted to put a small portion of it on credit card to get S75 protection. However they don’t accept credit cards. Is there any way I can overcome this please?

Not if the dealer wont take a credit card as payment no.
  • As others have said, you might want to avoid this dealer altogether..

As an aside, I would always put the full amount on card rather than part payment. Then if something goes wrong you might be able to get a chargeback for the full amount. Just less of a risk IMO.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Not if the dealer wont take a credit card as payment no.
    I *think* that if you were to get the van on finance instead of on the card, then it would still have s75 cover as it would still be a credit agreement. (unsure about this though)...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family