New laptop / all in one computer

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    ian103 wrote: »
    Mid 300s from memory, in fairness its been fine, the damage is by abuse rather than poor quality, I have an acer for work (sold as a buiness machine - and that is carp) The HP isnt as good as the one it replaced but for the money / lifespan Im not complaining.

The AIO desktop was just an idea as its a larger screenand I could have video playing whilst at my desk etc. A laptop probably works better for me as I can use whilst in the living room etc.

Budget isnt fixed, its a balance of specification / build quality / what people recommend. I tend to only look when my current machine starts to show its age so I dont really knwo whats on the market or what represents the best buy (Intel vs AMD etc)

Living in Cornwall limits the number of outlets I can visit to see what they stock. The local PC World is not the best. So it will have to be mail order.

If you want a larger screen, you can consider prowla's idea. That way you can get a decent high quality monitor for not a lot. I use a 24" full HD screen for my PC.
    So there's enough space to split the screen and also work with a wireless keyboard so you aren't stuck to the desk.
    But Mini PC are relatively expensive for what they offer.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    ian103 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of replacing my laptop an HP Pavilion 15
    Exact model number? (or a picture of the base) You may know yourself - if it has a service hatch replacing the HDD is easy (rather than having to take the whole back off.)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • EveryWhere
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Exact model number? (or a picture of the base) You may know yourself - if it has a service hatch replacing the HDD is easy (rather than having to take the whole back off.)

I already posted a link in #11.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Apologies for gate crashing.

From the link above I like the look of this.

Can anyone tell me what the value would be new? I know little and was looking for something around £500 but this looks good value.

I'd got as far as restricting my search to i5 processor, SSD, 8GB RAM. As I say, my knowledge is limited.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like OP really wants:
    A laptop
    A monitor
    (optional) A mouse and keyboard, docking station
    Instead of a laptop AND AIO.
  • EveryWhere
    silvercar wrote: »
    Apologies for gate crashing.

From the link above I like the look of this.

Can anyone tell me what the value would be new? I know little and was looking for something around £500 but this looks good value.

I'd got as far as restricting my search to i5 processor, SSD, 8GB RAM. As I say, my knowledge is limited.

No. Overpriced. £319 with Windows 10 Pro
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G1-14-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-1-6GHz-4GB-Ram-320GB-HDD-Win-10Pro/183225744173
    SSD £25.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=030wT4kcHIQ
    £155 in total, albeit with 4 GB and Grade C as opposed to Grade B.
    8GB; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G1-14-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-1-6GHz-8GB-Ram-250GB-SSD-Win-10/202395045206
    There are many online, so you can look for one in better condition....if you want one.
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Is this laptop a good specification or is there better out there, my budget is upto £600, Ive decided against refurb and would prefer new.
    https://www.ebuyer.com/805723-hp-250-g6-i7-laptop-2sy44es-2sy44es-abu
  • EveryWhere
    I thought you stated that wanted a larger screen. Now you are down to 14".
    None of those would be on my shortlist and with your insistence that poor handling is the reason for the premature demise of your HP laptop, no one is going to recommend another to you...
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 11:49AM
    I'm tempted with a smaller laptop and going with the suggestion from almiller, of a laptop and a monitor, a monitor for on the desk, and a laptop for portability. I can then have a larger screen where required, the logic for a smaller screen is less weight, the poor handling is because i hold the laptop along the front edge when moving it around and this is what has caused the case to crack. Never done anything different with any of the laptops Ive had, this is the first one thats failed there (and I cant see an easy fix) so perhaps its a one off issue (i think the case is weak along the edges as theres numerous slots along the edges that weaken the case.

A further benefit of this is I could still use my current laptop for the monitor and leave it in a fixed position as its the moving it around thats causing the damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure