Universal Credit Help

Options
megmaf111
megmaf111 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 7 August 2018 at 2:34PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi Guys,

I am really confused about what application or how my husband and i should go about applying for universal credits.

Our Situation:

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and currently living with my parents because when i lost my job we could not afford for my husband and i to live together as he was only just making enough money to cover the bills. Another reason for moving in with my parents is because their home is 2 hours closer to my university and i have exams this week and next week i need to attend. I am not a full time student and am not getting anything from Student Finance England. I have not been attending lectures at all for a year because i had completed all lectures and course work last year but had to defer my exams due to my poor health and being unable to complete my final year exams last year.

When talking to universal credits a number of times my husband was originally advised to claim as a couple despite the fact i am currently not living in the house with him as he still has a financial responsibility for me. As we where applying as a couple we ran across a problem, for some reason the online Identification thing doesn't work for either of us, it doesn't recognize any of our bank cards or past addresses which is very weird as we have been on the electrol register and paid bills at all past addresses. Our bank cards have all at one stage also been registered at thoughts addresses as well. And lately i have been struggling to drive over an hour because i want to fall asleep and get server stomach pain and are very uncomfortable driving in the car. The home i rent with my husband is a 4 hour drive from my parents home. As a result i went to my parents local job centre and asked them if it is possible for me to verify my identity here and could they inform the local council for the area we are renting.

I was then told i need to actually apply as a single living with my mum and then my husband has to tell his local council he is already receiving benefits so the application goes quicker. As you can see i am now very confused and unsure what to do.

I am planning to move back into the rental home with my husband once i am finished with my exams and the baby is born. Sadly i cant move in earlier because we rent a home owned ( But not lived in ) by his parents and they are planing to rip up all the floor boards in the house and do a complete refurbish. Even my husband has to move out and into their home for that time being. We have asked but they will refuse to give us rental reduction during this time and i'm kinda worried it wont be done before the baby is born as they haven't even started yet. And we cant as a family move in with his parents because the house is too small ( 2 bed home) and his brother still lives with his parents so both me , my husband and the baby would have to share a small room with his older brother.

I have discussed moving out that home and having us all as a family stay with my parents however my parents have a rather poor opinion of my husband and he isnt comfortable with this. As well as the fact we have two cats which my mother is highly allergic too, we would have to sell/ or giving to a rescue ( Currently on a waiting list) them to be able to move anyway. Which we are doing regardless to whether we move out or not because of our current financial state. My husband is also rather reluctant to move and truthfully so am i because his parents charge us £400 for rental in a three bed house which is amazing and we can hardly afford that. Very scared of the prospect of having to look else where as we can already barely afford such a cheap rental and we both don't want to live with my parents forever.

My husband was a Career but recently left his job because he had to take a month sick leave due to the job being inflammatory to his mental health. He was on a guaranteed hour contract of 23 hours and made £750 a month. He became paranoid and was struggling with quite sever anxiety and depression. He is now on on a zero hour contract with Mc donalds. He is really enjoying the job and his mental health is improving but he is making on average £150 a week.

I am currently working on and off in my mothers hair salon. I make about £80 a week if im working. Currently not working as my mum wants me to study for my exams which i am taking over the next two weeks.

My husband and i are both 22 years old.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated i am super stressed right now and tired of having to borrow money from my parents.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You are not single and to claim you are single would be fraudulent.

You need to make a joint UC claim. You are only living living with your parents temporarily and have plans to return to the marital home.
  • Ka11yz
    Ka11yz Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hello would like some advice on university credits

I have been told I can't have work/child tax credit anymore and to claim university credit when was getting w/c tax credit was getting £135 aweek

Made my claim for UC they said I will get £314 a month I work 20hr aweek and get paid £773 a month don't get no help with housing benefit

When I did my online calculation for UC said I will get £594 just don't see how I am not getting that work my !!! of for nothing any help please
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ka11ys

Start your own thread to save people getting confused.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are not single and to claim you are single would be fraudulent.

You need to make a joint UC claim. You are only living living with your parents temporarily and have plans to return to the marital home.

There is the option to claim in one name, declare they have a husband, but are not living together.

They can update the Universal Credit claim, when they do start living together agaln.

As long as information is declared accurately at each stage.

To be honest, I found the original post so confusing that I would not be relying on it being accurate. Seems to be lots of thoughts running through their head, which have been put into the post.

Would suggest that the OP makes a claim based on accurate information of their current position. They must disclose all information and Job Centre/Universal Credit can decide on basis of entitlement.

Once the claim entitlement basis has been verified, if circumstances change, then they register the changes to their circumstances.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Ka11yz
    Ka11yz Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi sorry did not no I did that I am now I have my own post now sorry every1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business