Add files to bootable Linux CD ISO image...?

Options

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    I've been reading this as it progresses and after the first few post I asked myself, "why does he not just install it to a hard disk?"
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    that wrote: »
    I've been reading this as it progresses and after the first few post I asked myself, "why does he not just install it to a hard disk?"

How do you install a bootable CD to hard disk? That's the problem!

I wanted to get the CD and ROMs working as a first step, but I'd love to be able to install to hard disk or USB stick.
  • esuhl
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Would it be worth trying to find a copy of the original Knoppix release (same kernel version, etc.) on which KnoppiXMAME was based and install it to the hard drive (I understand there's a built-in script that does this)... and then use the Knoppix kernel, etc. to boot KnoppiXMAME...?

KnoppixMAME v1.3b19 was released on 11/May/2004. It seems to use the Linux v2.6.1 kernel.

http://freshmeat.sourceforge.net/projects/knoppixmame/

I can only guess that it was based on the (then) latest version of Knoppix, v3.3, released 22/Sep/2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix#Versions

But I can't find a Knoppix ISO that old. :(

And I might be barking up the wrong tree in thinking I can use the Knoppix hard drive installation to get KnoppiXMAME booting from HDD anyway... :huh:

(Is replying to yourself the first sign of madness?! :rotfl:)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 5:59AM
    Options
    how good is your Italian ? http://www.barbalace.it/rtai3.3/

you may find this interesting https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7246

apparently koppix was debian based?
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:16AM
    Options
    As above, I added a drive to a Linux VM I have and copied the extracted ISO files to it. GRUB2 loads the CD kernel and starts booting, but it just results in lots of errors. :(

Can you give some details of the errors ?

I'd probably unsquash the rootfs so that it can be mounted from just a normal ext2 filesystem (assuming that kernel can't do anything more modern).
    Would it be worth trying to find a copy of the original Knoppix release (same kernel version, etc.) on which KnoppiXMAME was based and install it to the hard drive (I understand there's a built-in script that does this)... and then use the Knoppix kernel, etc. to boot KnoppiXMAME...?

Would you normally use one kernel to load another ? I believe it can be done, but I'm not sure there'd be a huge benefit. You could just get the kernel sources and build it with the necessary drivers if you believe it is incomplete - it's not impossible that they skipped the hard disk drivers for a purely cd-based system. But if that's the case, the kernel for the hard-drive based knoppix could probably run your game system.
  • esuhl
    Options
    Can you give some details of the errors ?

The on-screen messages end with:
    UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    XFS: bad magic number
    XFS: SB validate failed
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram0

But that was trying to boot the CD contents without unsquashing the rootfs. Is that barking up the wrong tree?
    I'd probably unsquash the rootfs so that it can be mounted from just a normal ext2 filesystem (assuming that kernel can't do anything more modern).
    Thanks. I added another hard drive and unsquashed that file onto it. I then copied the Boot-NoEmul.img and KnoppiXMAME (kernel) files to a new directory on that drive, and set up a new entry in GRUB.

But I just get an endless flickering screen of text and the keyboard stops working. I rebooted and tried to hit ScrollLock before that happened, which resulted in this message and the computer instantly freezing:
    <0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
     <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
     printing eip:
    c02bd1f1
    *pde = 00000000

Would you normally use one kernel to load another ? I believe it can be done, but I'm not sure there'd be a huge benefit. You could just get the kernel sources and build it with the necessary drivers if you believe it is incomplete - it's not impossible that they skipped the hard disk drivers for a purely cd-based system. But if that's the case, the kernel for the hard-drive based knoppix could probably run your game system.
    I wouldn't normally mess around with kernels at all! I'm a bit out of my league here, but always trying to learn something new. :p

I'm just running out of ideas as to how booting from HDD/USB might be possible. I didn't think it could be so hard!

Unfortunately I can't find a version of Knoppix quite as old as KnoppiXMAME. I could download the subsequent version and give it a go... but I'm not really sure what I'd be doing when I got it... :o

Could I just copy the kernel and .img file to the KnoppiXMAME hard drive and boot with them...?

Or could I install the old Knoppix, manually overwrite the filesystem with KnoppixMAME files, then... er... I dunno.

Is it time to accept that booting this CD from hard drive just isn't possible?
  • esuhl
    Options
    You know how software like DaemonTools can mount ISO images in Windows, etc.?

Isn't there a bootloader that could do the same? i.e. Mount an ISO file saved on the hard disk and "virtually" (somehow?) boot from it...?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 August 2018 at 8:16PM
    Options
    You know how software like DaemonTools can mount ISO images in Windows, etc.?

Isn't there a bootloader that could do the same? i.e. Mount an ISO file saved on the hard disk and "virtually" (somehow?) boot from it...?
    Xboot (now not updated) me Spud17 and Gunjack had lots of fun with that :rotfl:https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3718403&highlight=xboot+gunjack

Here it was https://sites.google.com/site/shamurxboot/

the guy who created it is no more RIP shamu
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • esuhl
    Options
    Xboot (now not updated) me Spud17 and Gunjack had lots of fun with that :rotfl:

Oh! Nice try -- so close! It displayes the KnoppiXMAME logo and starts booting, but quickly displays:
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

Additional builtin commands available:
            cat        mount      umount
            ubsnid     rmmod      lsmod

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh! Nice try -- so close! It displayes the KnoppiXMAME logo and starts booting, but quickly displays:
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

Additional builtin commands available:
            cat        mount      umount
             ubsnid     rmmod      lsmod

Have you tried in a 32bit environment ? just an idea:D
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure