Thought's on the Woodford equity income fund

Options
I have been slowly reducing my holding in this fund from what I once had.
It's performance is poor now and has been for some time and barring a situation where his portfolio will soar, I am struggling to not sell my holding completely.
Have I got my head in the sand regarding this fund or can other forum members see some light?
Any views on this topic would be welcome.

Comments

• ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Difficult to comment without an idea of how much of your portfolio it is, timescales to drawdown etc.

You obviously thought Woodford was going to beat the market when you bought in - has your viewpoint of him changed now - if it hasn't then why sell?

He was beating the benchmark initially but he has made some really bad calls - Capita, Astra Zeneca and Provident to name a few....
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Same thoughts here. I bought in at 99p, so a 22% total return now is not absolutely terrible for 4 years. Still hanging on because he made me a packet at Perpetual over 20 or so years including through big corrections and my stake is small now compared to total portfolio (3%). So it all depends if we have a correction soon whether his choices are better than others, but the worry is he is so far behind now that catch up is getting more and more difficult.

But exactly the same things have been said of him in the past before major corrections and he came through fine in the long term ahead of any comparable tracker. I do worry the alpha managers who did well in the past cannot adjust and do the same in the QE era market propped up by massive government debts and central bank permanent "emergency" interest rates boosting prices.
  • TUVOK
    TUVOK Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, very much the same for me as I too made good profits from his Invesco funds.
    I have reduced my holding gradually, but I still hold £5K in his fund, I'm feeling that I should liquidate my holding more and more, the funds performance over a fairly long time has been poor with at least three bad calls.
    I've examined the companies that he holds and I get an increasing feeling that he's going no where.
    Perhaps I will be proved wrong but I feel it's time to sell.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Options
    You are in the classic dilemma faced by owners of active funds when they don't perform as well as expected. No one knows how Woodford will fare in the future so any advice is just speculation. May be you should cut your losses and sell and buy into something that's doing well like Fundsmith. But will Fundsmith continue it's impressive recent returns or will it crash and so compound your losses. Investing can be a quick way to lose money if you don't have a coherent plan to govern your buying and selling. My advice would be to avoid impulse trading and develop some criteria instead.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Wildsound
    Wildsound Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    Same thoughts here. I bought in at 99p, so a 22% total return now is not absolutely terrible for 4 years.

It is terrible, if you compare it against the IA UK All Companies (40%) and a fund like Old Mutual UK Mid Cap (105%) over 4 years.

Whilst I have nothing against "star fund managers" in general, when they leave a big company like Invesco, or any other big house for that matter, you cannot expect them to replicate performance when they jump ship and join either a new house, or create their own business. The fund is not just the showman at the top, but the massive team of analysts and systems behind him.

A few years into his new Woodford venture, you could argue that he might have the infrastructure in place to start giving something back.

I think the lesson is, don't follow a fund manager unless you know what infrastructure is going to back him/her up. Personally, if any fund manager did similar, I would leave them to it for at least a few years before going back. That includes someone like Richard Watts (Old Mutual UK Mid Cap) if he decided to do something similar.
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am hanging on in the hope that he will do well in the next major downturn which I predict will be sometime in the next 30 years - that s my best guess, I've given up trying to be more accurate than that.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    I do worry the alpha managers who did well in the past cannot adjust and do the same in the QE era market propped up by massive government debts and central bank permanent "emergency" interest rates boosting prices.

Woodford made his name during another era when everyone claimed "this time it's different" and that stockmarket / economic conditions were different to anything that had gone before. Back then it was "the Internet will change everything".

If the star manager of one "this time it's different" era can't be expected to generate alpha during a different "this time it's different" era (bearing in mind that every single time point in history is a "this time it's different" era) then no fund manager can be expected to outperform in the long term.
  • arnhemrd
    arnhemrd Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I unloaded 50k+ last week.

Been torn on keeping or selling for a few months and decided, rightly or wrongly, that it had to go. Only time will tell if i made the right call.

Undecided whether to top up my Vanguard LS 80 or put it into Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index.
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    I had a six figure sum in his Invesco high income fund and took half of that out when he launched Woodford Equity Income.

After a couple of years of decent returns, I sold out of both funds because I was unhappy about the direction he was taking and his successor at Invesco seemed to be simply aping what he was doing.

What I didn't like was the unquoted companies that became an increasing feature of his fund. To me it was like two different funds under one umbrella. My feeling is that he has lived on his past reputation for many years and is no better and possibly worse than many of his peers. He certainly doesn't seem to fully understand the nature of some of the businesses in which he is investing other peoples' money. The performance of his Patient Capital IT seems to bear this out.

I look very carefully 'under the bonnet' of every fund I buy and avoid banks, insurance companies and extraction industries. That's why most of my money has been in the hands of Fundsmith and Lindsell Train for the past few years. I get some satisfaction when I compare the performance of those funds with Mr Woodford's.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    Already quite a long thread on this, see here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772369&highlight=woodford

I sold my six figure Income Focus holdings earlier this year. Woodford convinced me to go all passive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure