Investing directly with fund companies?

Options
Has any member experience of investing into a fund company such as Vanguard, Fundsmith, Baillie Gifford?
The charges at Hargreaves Landsdown are very high, the company gives good service but the charges are very steep.
For example, I estimate that investing £1000-00 for five years with HL would cost £215-90 out of interest made.
Investing the same amount and time period with Vanguard would cost £92-50, a vast difference!
Any replies would be appreciated.

Comments

• londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't disagree that HL is expensive, but do you perhaps have a decimal point in the wrong place?

Your figures would mean that HL cost you 21.5% over 5 years, i.e. 4.3% per year. They're not the cheapest but they're not that expensive :)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 August 2018 at 8:48PM
    Options
    IIRC Vanguard are about 0.22% and HL 0.45%. So as said I think it should be £18 for HL and £8.80 for Vanguard. Not a vast difference, not even a tenner. (Edit for some reason I did 4 years not 5 but same principal)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 4 August 2018 at 4:52PM
    Options
    TUVOK wrote: »
    The charges at Hargreaves Landsdown are very high, the company gives good service but the charges are very steep.
    For example, I estimate that investing £1000-00 for five years with HL would cost £215-90 out of interest made.
    Investing the same amount and time period with Vanguard would cost £92-50, a vast difference!

You have either misread the charges or misused your calculator, because your figures are about ten times higher than reality. The charge at HL is not 4.5% a year but 0.45%. So £4.50 the first year, if your £1000 is invested for the whole year. So a thousand pounds invested for five years (assuming no significant investment gains or losses) would cost you about £22 not £220.

You are right that it is more expensive than going direct to the fund manager, in the case of SOME fund managers who offer you access to their products at a competitive price, such as Vanguard.

There are several reasons why people don't just go direct:

Going direct is not always cheaper..One reason for that is because building an investor servicing / customer admin function to deal with small retail investors who might only want to invest a few hundred or a few thousand pounds a time, is something that's expensive for a fund manager to do, and only gets cheaper with economies of scale. So a business with hundreds of thousands of indivdual customers offering a wide variety of investments from all different fund managers can do it cheaply, or perhaps not very cheaply to the customer but quite profitably for themselves.

So HL choose to charge £4.50 per £1000 invested per year and Charles Stanley Direct choose to charge £2.50 per £1000 invested per year. Whereas if the fund manager created a direct-to-customer offering, splitting the costs of running the investor servicing function over just a few customers, they would struggle to do the admin for a few pounds a year on a thousand pounds invested. Some fund manager products 'via themselves' are much more than the 0.15% Vanguard charges to use its in-house platform which only retails its own product. It only works when you have a lot of customers and one way to attract a lot of customers is to have a broad range of good products for sale. So Vanguard can offer the service cheaply as it drives demand for their product and they already have trillions under management in the US and experience in running a direct-to-customer offering. Not all can.

Ignoring costs, from an investor point of view it is quite restrictive to go direct to a fund manager because you can only hold certain products in the account. So if I open up an ISA with Fundsmith and put £1000 in it, I can't also invest in a bond fund or a small companies fund or a UK-focussed fund or a property fund, inside the ISA, as Fundsmith doesn't offer any of those products, and I am not allowed to open up more than one S&S ISA in a year. Fundsmith and Vanguard and Baillie GIfford don't currently offer pensions either.

Even if I didn't care about tax wrappers, when it comes time to rebalance my portfolio to my preferred allocations from time to time it would be annoying to have to cash out money from one fund with one fund manager, get the money back to my own bank account, then send it over to the other fund manager, and invest the money again. One manager is unlikely to have the best-in-the-market offering for every asset class or product type. If you use a funds supermarket or wrap platform you don't really have that problem and can instruct to sell/redeem and rebuy into a different product the same day.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2018 at 6:32PM
    Options
    I have had accounts with Vanguard Investor and am still with BG and the customer service was good and generally better than I am getting with HL at the moment.

HL seemed to make a complete hash of my wife's LISA transfer so last year's bonus was months late and their systems are preventing her making any contribution this tax year. HL are slow to respond and need chasing to get resolution.

Alex
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    IIRC Vanguard are about 0.22% and HL 0.45%. So as said I think it should be £18 for HL and £8.80 for Vanguard. Not a vast difference, not even a tenner. (Edit for some reason I did 4 years not 5 but same principal)

Vanguard's platform charge is 0.15%, not 0.22% (perhaps you are getting confused with the OCF for LifeStrategy funds, which is 0.22%). So, Vanguard is one-third of the cost of HL; I'd say that was significantly cheaper.

OP, yes, experience with Vanguard. Very positive. I can see no reason to pay HL 's rip-off fees if you only want to buy Vanguard funds.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TUVOK wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic, I estimate that you won't make a penny of interest!

When investing, you'd hope to achieve some capital growth over the long term and would expect some dividends along the way, but if it's interest you're after, stick to savings accounts....
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have experience with Vanguard in the US which is very different from Vanguard in the UK right now. But I imagine Vanguard UK is looking to become more "full service". In general I'm impressed with Vanguard's service and their low costs and like that you are limited to their products as too much choice can be paralyzing. I have a brokerage account with US Vanguard where I can buy any fund, stock or bond for sale in the US, but I've never used it as if I stick to Vanguard funds I pay no platform or transaction fees. I like the idea of dealing directly with the fund companies as they cut out a middleman and should give you lower costs, but be careful that they do.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Alexland
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic, I estimate that you won't make a penny of interest!

At the risk of being even more pedantic the OP is should make at least 0.1% interest from HL on the cash balance run to pay the fees.

https://www.hl.co.uk/charges-and-interest-rates

Alex
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    I have had accounts with Vanguard Investor and am still with BG and the customer service was good and generally better than I am getting with HL at the moment.

HL seemed to make a complete hash of my wife's LISA transfer so last year's bonus was months late and their systems are preventing her making any contribution this tax year. HL are slow to respond and need chasing to get resolution.

Alex

Iirc, I read that the LiSA bonus issue was really down to HMRC being incompetent...
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Alexland
    edited 5 August 2018 at 9:19AM
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    Iirc, I read that the LiSA bonus issue was really down to HMRC being incompetent...

Possibly the cause was never explained and HL could have been a bit more proactive rather than promising it would be paid by dates when then passed without further comment. As part of my wife's transfer they recorded her 2017 contributions as occurring in this tax year so she is now unable to make any 'further' contributions. We have been waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to fix with no ETA so I just chased them again. They made the same mistake on my transfer but fixed it quicker.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport