Hutchinson 3 UK Default: Wont take my money!

Options
I have 2 defaults on my credit record from Hutchinson 3 UK which i am having massive difficulties resolving.

On Experian they both have an outstanding balance. I have called 3 who have stated that there is no outstanding balance, but that it has been written off as "bad debt". Apparently it went to a DCAicon May 2017, who then sent it back to 3 at some point in November 2017 as uncollectable. It was uncollectable as i had move out of that address 4 years ago......basically when i moved i called 3 and asked my my address to be changed. Obviously that didnt happen, and then beginning of last year i called to cancel my contract(outside of terms, i had been with them for 4 years). The last bill i never recieved as the address on the account hadnt been changed. Whatever though, thats not really the issue.

The last week i have been trying to make payment for the arrears to get it marked as settled on my credit report. Three wont take payment as its been written off, and the debt agency it went to apparently hold no records as it was returned to 3 over 6 months ago.

Just looking for some advice on how to get this resolved? I've raised a complaint but need to wait until they respond at this point.

What i want is for the default balance on my credit file to be a big fat 0. If three are unable to take payment off me so i can clear it, then i would like them to report it as being 0 if they have written it off

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Raise a complaint to Three - as you have done.

Wait for their response - as you have done.

If they remove it then great.

If not you could escalate to the Ombudsman or ICO.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You cant pay off a debt that has been written off, it does not exist, but the default does.

On Experian, your report will have a contact address (maybe a phone number) for the department responsible for updating credit files at the company. Speak to them, not the customer service people.

I suspect they will need to reopen your account, apply a debt, take your payment and then close again. It might be possible.
  • welly_59
    welly_59 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no issues with the default. I just want to satisfy it so I can put it behind me
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    But it wont satisfy as the account has been closed. Therefore it you try what I suggest you might get somewhere.
  • welly_59
    Options
    That is exactly where this is going wrong. They have to provide the opportunity to settle the debt
  • welly_59
    Options
    24 hours later I have received an automated response stating they aim to respond within 4 days. Lets wait until next tuesday then
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 August 2018 at 12:40AM
    Options
    welly_59 wrote: »
    That is exactly where this is going wrong. They have to provide the opportunity to settle the debt

If its been written off, its gone for good.

You must follow the correct complaints process and escalate to the ICO if unsuccessful.

You will still have the default whatever happens, may as well just save your money.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • welly_59
    Options
    I will have the default, I understand that. My issue is the default has a value attached to it but I have no way of paying it off.

The reason I want to do this as a couple of potential mortgage lenders have stated they will accept the default on my credit report but only if it has been satisfied and has a zero balance attached to it.

3 need to give me the opportunity to make that the case
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    welly_59 wrote: »
    I will have the default, I understand that. My issue is the default has a value attached to it but I have no way of paying it off.

The reason I want to do this as a couple of potential mortgage lenders have stated they will accept the default on my credit report but only if it has been satisfied and has a zero balance attached to it.

3 need to give me the opportunity to make that the case

That is a reasonable request, but as 3 have washed there hands of the debt, you should be able to get them to amend your credit file without having to pay it.

As said before, if you do not get anywhere with 3 after exhausting there complaints procedure, escalate to the ICO.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • welly_59
    Options
    thats what i plan to do. Currently going through the complaint process using the resolver.co.uk website
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure