Ex-fiance wants half the profits from sale of my house.

Options

Comments

• jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 570 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't believe I have just read this...

How lazy no job no children she needs to wake up and live in the real world, sorry she must of had parents that spoilt her just as you have.
    Give her notice to quit your house, she will have to find a job or another mug for freebies......
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tlc678910 wrote: »
    Your thoughts of offering 10k sound more than fair, reasonable and ethical to me and a good compromise.

Seriously :rotfl::rotfl:

That's a whole load of 'ethical' where none appears to be needed
  • MarcMCFC1986
    Options
    I am thinking of offering her £10k from the sale and also writing off the £2-3k she owes me, but I would like to know what the people think first? (It's highly likely she'll laugh at this offer anyway).

I'd be laughing at her threat of taking you to court.

Contact ITV, get on Judge Rinder, and let him tear a chunk out of her!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just dump her.

She seems not to have works/ paid any bills etc.

You have been walked all over and a very useful meal ticket to her. Change any pin numbers / passwords she knows NOW

Tell her to go and help her pack.

Change the locks as well to keep her out

I think you have had a luck escape.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Step 1: change the locks.

Step 2: have a beer.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My fiance of 12 years and I are in the process of breaking up

I purchased a house 4 years ago, 6 months after we got engaged. She has been continually unemployed for over 5 years and refuses to work

She has not paid anything, ever. In fact, she owes me several thousand pounds for various things over the years.

I am thinking of offering her £10k from the sale and also writing off the £2-3k she owes me, but I would like to know what the people think first?

I would write off the money she owes you - purely because you're never going to get it back anyway.

Anything more you offer is above and beyond what you need to do.

£10k sounds a lot taking into account the years she has lived for free off your income!

She won't get a rental property without a job or benefits so going back to her parents is her only option.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Step 1: change the locks.

Step 2: have a beer.

This with bells on!

"Doesn't want to waste her life working"
    The mind boggles!

And !!!!!! does she do all day?
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, any legal action might get some traction - I was involved in a long painful case myself where the other party was on a "no win no fee" legal advice and eventually we had to settle before the costs reached ridiculous levels despite wining every step along the way in the lower courts.

As you might see in some high profile cases in the press, she could argue that it was her being a "homemaker" that allowed the OP to have his career etc. Obviously a lot of this would be his word against hers and for good or for bad in these days of equality, this "homemaker being an important role in a partnership of equals" argument is getting more traction in the courts!

If the OP can settle for £10k, do it and move on would be my advice!
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, any legal action might get some traction - I was involved in a long painful case myself where the other party was on a "no win no fee" legal advice and eventually we had to settle before the costs reached ridiculous levels despite wining every step along the way in the lower courts.

As you might see in some high profile cases in the press, she could argue that it was her being a "homemaker" that allowed the OP to have his career etc. Obviously a lot of this would be his word against hers and for good or for bad in these days of equality, this "homemaker being an important role in a partnership of equals" argument is getting more traction in the courts!

If the OP can settle for £10k, do it and move on would be my advice!

I disagree - there is a difference between being a stay at home parent where one party stays at home and sacrifices their career to look after their children (and I agree sahp should be assisted in the case of a split) and bone idleness where someone feels work is beneath them. There is no reason for the ex to stay at home. The OP is not on some major salary where the mrs is expected to, and the op has requested she stay at home and keep the mansion clean so he can keep his mega salary, this is a woman who cannot be arsed to work - there is a difference. She needs to join the real world
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Teamocil
    Teamocil Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2018 at 10:08PM
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Offer her a token amount to rent a flat for 6 mths and get rid.

I think that's an extremely generous but also pragmatic idea. Honestly, the story you tell is appalling. Do whatever it takes to get her out of your life. She's toxic.

On the face of it, your £10k suggestion sounds ridiculous. I suspect from your post that she's still got you in her clutches to an extent. She owes you money, not the other way round!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure