Neighbours fire spread to mums shed

Options
My mum owns her old council house but the house next door is still council run. at midnight last night the fire brigade woke her up ( she is 80 so a bit deaf and a big shock) and told her the shed was on fire. The neighbours have been cutting down the conifers all summer and now they had dried out decided to burn them. They tried a few weeks ago and another neighbour phoned the police as the fire set their fence on fire.
So, should mum claim on her insurance for her fence, shed and contents of the shed (lawnmower, patio set, strimmer etc).?
Her premium will go up but it is not her fault so unfair. The fire brigade have said they will issue a damage report stating the fire was started net door. Her neighbours are quite abusive so she doesn't want me to confront them in case they retaliate.
Can she approach the council and claim on their insurance ( if they have it) . The tennants shouted that they are poor and have no money so " not to even think about getting money off them".
what is the best course of action for her. She will have to replace the shed as she has no room to store the mower etc. Thanks

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    She looks to have little choice but to make a claim or pay herself
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My mum owns her old council house but the house next door is still council run. at midnight last night the fire brigade woke her up ( she is 80 so a bit deaf and a big shock) and told her the shed was on fire. The neighbours have been cutting down the conifers all summer and now they had dried out decided to burn them. They tried a few weeks ago and another neighbour phoned the police as the fire set their fence on fire.
    So, should mum claim on her insurance for her fence, shed and contents of the shed (lawnmower, patio set, strimmer etc).?
    Her premium will go up but it is not her fault so unfair. The fire brigade have said they will issue a damage report stating the fire was started net door. Her neighbours are quite abusive so she doesn't want me to confront them in case they retaliate.
    Can she approach the council and claim on their insurance ( if they have it) . The tennants shouted that they are poor and have no money so " not to even think about getting money off them".
    what is the best course of action for her. She will have to replace the shed as she has no room to store the mower etc. Thanks

Lovely neighbours you have
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Lovely neighbours you have

They could very well be as it's her Mum's house she's posted about.
  • head_above_water
    Options
    I know they are really dreadful, I worry about her being there on her own. Other neighbours have complained about the abuse, music, their 4 dogs barking all day and night but the council don't want to know. What I don't understand is how a single guy gets accepted for a 3 bed council house. he has male friends there all the time.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think the council is responsible for what their tenant has done, but I can see no harm asking.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are only two options.
    She claims off her own insurance
    Or she sues her neighbours

The council won't pay, not will they have insurance to cover their tenants idiocy
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    If your mum makes a claim to the Council anyway, even though they won't pay out, it might encourage them to look more closely at the tenant's awful behaviour, especially with a written report from the fire brigade.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if your mum has to sell and she files it with the council, she will have to declare it when selling, not sure if she sues the neighbours will she have to declare that?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need hassle at your mum's age. Talking to the neighbours or the council will give her plenty.
    Claiming off insurance or paying are, I believe, the only alternatives you should consider.

Can't think of much things worse than having neighbours like that. My sympathies to you mum.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much is the shed?

It might be cheaper than making a claim, although she still needs to decalre the loss in future.
    I didn't think sheds where very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure