Credit card for International payments???

Swinball
Swinball Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 9 July 2018 at 10:07PM in Credit cards
Hi
Me and my fiance are getting married in Italy in August and are currently looking for a credit card to spread the cost of the wedding.
We have looked at a few long term interest free credit cards but have noticed they mainly charge at least 5% of the the transaction amount for International payments (paying for services in Italy).
I know there is a standard fee of around £10 from your bank from these transactions but we are looking to see if there is a credit card available that won’t charge a percentage of the total value?
Thank you in advance. Look forward to hearing back soon!

Danny

Comments

• Thank you. We have looked at travel credit cards. The balance needs to be cleared every month though. We are looking to make larger international payments from this country that will be paid off over a few months. (Probably should have made that clear in the post).
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Use a travel card to pay the bills, taking advantage of the good exchange rate when you pay in Euros.

Then balance transfer to a card with a 0% interest offer to give you time to pay.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Use a card like Halifax clarity for the transactions - then do a balance transfer to another card to get x months interest free (although you probably will end up paying a fee for this).
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2018 at 8:39AM
    Use a card like Halifax clarity for the transactions - then do a balance transfer to another card to get x months interest free (although you probably will end up paying a fee for this).

I agree. For the sake of a probable 3% fee, this seems the best way to go to me.

If you can pay off more quickly, then it would be better to get a "purchases" card which tends to have a shorter 0% promo deal. You would still likely pay about 3% for the foreign spend - but then wouldn't have to pay a fee on a subsequent transfer. The advantage of this method is that some cards offer airmiles/nectar points/cashback or whatever on spend. This isn't true of the travel cards that I know of.
  • Peter6268
    Peter6268 Posts: 32 Forumite
    How about this one from the Post Office:

0% on purchases for 28 months -

No fees when you buy overseas

www.postoffice.co.uk/credit-card/platinum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income