Help!! Solar Panel readings

Hi!

I've got a problem which I don't fully understand but I suspect I'm being hoodwinked about. If you're curious, grab a coffee and read on.....

I moved into a new build at the end of April, and it has solar panels. I finally did my application form for the Feed In Tariff last month and sent it off

The application was returned as I didn't have the MSC Certificate. I chased this up and sent it off. However, what I didn't realise is that the Commissioning Date on the MSC certificate was shown as 12 June 2018. (I moved into the house at the end of April).

The energy provider queried my meter reading as it looked as though I'd generated 118 in the space of 2 days! I explained to them that we moved in in April and the solar panels were already here at that time. They suggested I get the solar panel provider to amend the date on the certificate to reflect the date the panels were commissioned.

This is my sticking point! The solar panel provider seems to think it's very difficult/he can't do it etc and has suggested he do the following:

1) He will send me an email saying an error was made during the installation and that 2 wires were crossed which gave an incorrect reading.
2)He will wipe the reading clear and I will give the energy supplier the low reading
3) The application can then be processed and I will receive payments at the higher tariff (4p?)

Now....I'm of the opinion that, if it barks like a dog, and looks like a dog then it is a dog! I don't fully understand the issue regarding the dating of the certificate (I've provided his explanation below if you're interested) BUT this all sounds wrong to me. I asked why we can't tell them the truth (see below) but I suspect that he (or someone else) has done something they shouldn't and there is a genuine risk to them if someone finds out.

However, I think I'd prefer to tell the energy supplier what has happened and, if that means I'm on the lower tariff of 0.75p then I should then seek compensation from whoever is responsible for this position.

What do you think? And does anyone understand what is happening here because I don't!

Additional info
The solar panel installer has said a few times that he tried to do the right thing to try and get people the higher tariff and it's now backfiring on him
He also said he thinks it is the people who do the EPC certificate's fault as they didn't say when they had completed the EPC (I think this was in Feb or March time)
He said he doesn't think it's the developers fault
Mortgage Balance: £162,615.84 (December 2022); £163,945 (November 2022)
Current MF date: Feb 2032.  (Previously: Jan 2033)

Target MF date: May 2027
(Overpayments needed to achieve this: £1,750pm!) 

Joint spend: £391.09 (Nov)

Comments

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's not the EPC assessor's fault, it's not their job to notify the PV installer. It's either the developer's fault for not contacting the PV installer to arrange the MCS certificate when the property was actually completed, or the PV installer for just not doing it.

It sounds like the MCS certificate was only created when you chased it. It should have been in your handover pack when you first moved in, so ultimately the responsibility lies with the developer for not providing it at the correct time.

It's possible to get the commissioning date changed on the MCS certificate, but requires the installer to contact MCS - they obviously just don't want to, and admit the mistake! However, the additional payments for the 118 reading is probably less than £10, so I would personally take the option offered just to get it resolved.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    It sounds like the MCS certificate was only created when you chased it. It should have been in your handover pack when you first moved in, so ultimately the responsibility lies with the developer for not providing it at the correct time.

Or possibly with the OP's conveyancing solicitor for not ensuring that all of the required paperwork was in the handover pack before the sale was completed.
  • ComicGeek
    Or possibly with the OP's conveyancing solicitor for not ensuring that all of the required paperwork was in the handover pack before the sale was completed.

But unless the OP had specifically mentioned that there were PV panels installed, how would their conveyancing solicitor have known to check? Whichever way, at the moment the OP's quantifiable losses are very small, probably about £10.
  • IAAM
    IAAM Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you both. This is extremely helpful.

I agree about how much we're missing out (i.e. only £10 at the moment) but my reticence is that we are asking to be complicit in lying to the energy provider about what's happened. (I don't get why we can't just tell them what's happened).

I think it's because we will end up on an 0.75p tariff instead of a 4p one (in which case our financial loss will be cumulative over the next 20 years).

I think I might tell British Gas the truth and see what we are required to do and then pursue the developer and installer regarding the error and the financial impact to us.

Thanks again both.

• ComicGeek
    IAAM wrote: »
    I think I might tell British Gas the truth and see what we are required to do and then pursue the developer and installer regarding the error and the financial impact to us.

Well, that just sounds ridiculous to me - cutting your nose off to spite your face!! I don't see any problem with telling British Gas that there was a mistake with the meter reading, and providing a new one after the meter is reset. You either correct the meter reading in line with the MCS quoted commissioning date, or correct the MCS quoted commissioning date in line with the meter readings.

Good luck trying to pursue them for the costs. I don't see how you can possibly claim for the financial impact for the next 20 years now, particularly when there are two sensible solutions to this that would only take a day or two to complete - so will you just ignore these solutions, and take them to court every month/year??! You might get the courts to agree with you once, and award you £10(?), but I can't see how you could win the second case without acting to mitigate the losses.
  • ComicGeek
    IAAM wrote: »
    I think it's because we will end up on an 0.75p tariff instead of a 4p one (in which case our financial loss will be cumulative over the next 20 years).

That's not true in your case. If the commissioning date of the MCS certificate was prior to the production of the EPC then it would be the case, but that's not the case here. The only issue is that British Gas has highlighted an impossibly high meter reading given the commissioning date on the MCS certificate. Once that's been resolved as per my previous post, then you should be on the higher tariff for the next 20 years - in fact, the dates involved play to your advantage, as quite often it's done the other way around and the house owner gets stuck on the lower tariff.

So speak to the developer/installer nicely and see if they will give you a tenner to compensate, but just bit your tongue and get the issue resolved!
  • IAAM
    Hi Comic Geek. Thanks for your continued advice. I fully get your point but I guess the issue I feel uncomfortable with is lying about this. If it is an issue that can be resolved (and it sounds like it is) then I would rather the installer take the necessary steps to correct the position we're in..

• ComicGeek
    I don’t see why you have to lie - you just provide a new meter reading to BG once it’s been reset, no lying involved. But if you’re being stubborn on principle then it looks like the only way to get the MCS certificate amended is to follow the installers complaints procedure, and then raise directly with MCS if you don’t get anywhere - there’s a page on their website for lodging a complaint against the installer, but it’s likely to permanently damage your relationship with the installer so bear that in mind and hopefully you don’t have any problems that need fixing...

I’m all for honesty and principles, but always best to pick your battles wisely...
  • IAAM
    Excellent point about future dealings with the installer which I hadn't considered! And obviously this needs to be weighed up against the small losses. The lying is the bit that I don't get. The installer is asking me to lie to the supplier by saying either I made a mistake when giving the meter readings or that he will pretend to then that he incorrectly wired the system wrongly. I don't understand why I can't just tell them about the issue regarding the date of the certificate

• ComicGeek
    If the installer has to go back to MCS to get the commissioning date changed, then worst case if that he has to admit that he doesn’t know when it was commissioned, and then worst case he is suspended from the scheme. He now can’t get any work as he isn’t MCS accredited....

Can you see why he doesn’t want to take that risk over £10?

I agree that it should have been done properly to start with, but sometimes it’s best to work with people. It’s likely that the developer is at fault here, and has pressured the installer into this position.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure