PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Karmacat wrote: »
    It's mostly the little pleasures, for me, though I do have one problem because of dairy intolerance. I need goats/sheeps milk, not cows - and most of the affordable cheese comes from the EU area.

Otherwise, its olive oil. And Waitrose Essential Olives (pitted, in brine, 50p per 100g :D).

Seriously though, we currently import 40% or so of our food? Maybe half that is from the EU? It will almost certainly be more expensive, so extra stocking up will probably be a good thing - but we don't know when those price rises will take place, so its a guessing game. And a tough one, when, as you say, financial capacity is limited. I'm retired now, with no active pension, so cash flow is not the problem for me that it is for other low-income folks, so I really might stock up on a few things.

Hi Karma, i'm good for cash flow as living off savings for ten years, just need to eke them out as overall funds are very low. Will cast an eye around my stores for imported goodies - I'm pondering going over to a yearly food and fuel budget as spending is not regular month to month, summer being cheaper. Another good reason to do so!

We kept a milking goat for many years and goat cheese is easy to make - I have recipes if you'd like them?

Agree about olive oil and I love the olives in the wee tins!

WCS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Karma, i'm good for cash flow as living off savings for ten years, just need to eke them out as overall funds are very low.
    I didn't realise you were in the same boat as me! It's weird, isn't it ... I do have some money coming to me, when we sell my mother's house, but it's quite sobering sometimes.

Will cast an eye around my stores for imported goodies - I'm pondering going over to a yearly food and fuel budget as spending is not regular month to month, summer being cheaper. Another good reason to do so!
    Goldiegirl, on MFW, who retired a few years ago, does that annual budget, for exactly that reason, the whole stocking up thing. I buy such basic foodstuffs, and have so many digestive intolerances, I haven't worked at sticking strictly to a budget, I confess. But now I'm healthier, and interested in trying more, I think I'll need to. Its very easy to go overboard, when you're not limited by other issues.

We kept a milking goat for many years and goat cheese is easy to make - I have recipes if you'd like them?
    Oh wow. Yes, I'd love the recipes if you could. I've no chance of *keeping* a goat - dormitory town in the south east of England :( - but who knows how things change? And if I win the million pound premium bond, I might yet do something on these lines :)

Agree about olive oil and I love the olives in the wee tins!

WCS
    Tangy and yummy :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Karmacat how did things improve for you healthwise and what do you think made it happen? Was stopping work enough on it's own or did you make other changes?
    WCS I'm expecting everything to go up, just like it did in 1971 or whenever it was decimalisation came in. They used it as an excuse.
  • maryb wrote: »
    it might be worth thinking about extra ways to keep warm eg blankets and hot water bottles.

And, if you have an electric stove, an alternative method of cooking and heating water.
    59efec44Na53a0e55.jpg
  • It's not cooled off all that much, but, courtesy of some clouds and a bit of a breeze, the temperature has dropped a welcome few degrees. :cool:

As for prepping, I've just bought, and am trying out, this LED lamp.
    P-62173.jpg
    Probably not bright enough for the living room (I certainly don't think it will be bright enough for reading), but might be usable in the bathroom, or for getting into and out of bed.
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    A button phone will hold a charge for a long time compared to these energy hogging smartphones and you could still use it to call for assistance/ ring your rellies and assure them you're OK, just delayed.

And you can eke out a few extra valuable minutes of calls, using a solar powerbank.
    79130IS_1024x1024.jpg?v=1486389976
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:35PM
    but I was mildly impressed by St Martin's championing of reducing plastic waste & obtained reusable drinking straws with useful brushes.

I think drinking straws suck. :D

ETA: Are the stainless steel drinking straws flexible/spingy, or are they rigid?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 July 2018 at 6:12PM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Seriously though, we currently import 40% or so of our food?

Bear in mind though that, under the stupid CAP rules, we are required to export 15% of the milk we produce to other countries, and then import 15% of the milk we use from other countries.

Once we leave the EU, we'll have 15% more of our own milk on the shelves, to replace the 15% we currently import, so we won't notice any difference.
  • We kept a milking goat for many years

You must be kidding. :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mardatha wrote: »
    Karmacat how did things improve for you healthwise and what do you think made it happen? Was stopping work enough on it's own or did you make other changes?
    It's been really slow, Mar, maybe I can summarise it as tweaking little things all the time. Point format, as I find that easiest:

Stopping work was huge, no doubt about it. Less stress, no clients coming to my house so I had my privacy back - but there was also my mother's very brief illness and death to deal with in that first year. It was me that dealt with the probate, not my brother or sister, I had the most aptitude for all that, so that was a lot of *added* stress. But I coped with that much better than the stress of work.

I stopped pretending my illness wasn't serious. Being on here helped me with that - you, maddiemay, cappella, GQ. There's a blog called Captain Awkward, recommended by someone on the mfw board, which feels like it saved my life. I still work really hard on not apologising for my existence, and that still helps.

Bridges for the day. I'd been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue, not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so it was always less serious (no hospitalisations for me, for instance), and one really, really useful concept they gave me was of stepping stones/bridges - rest periods supporting the day, basically. You don't carry on and then stop for the day, you do a bit, rest a bit, do a bit more, rest a bit more. That's contrary to my natural way of doing things, so it was very difficult, even last year, I wore myself out, needed a week's rest after going on a walk with my sister and not resting midway. It was horribly disappointing, but I kept learning.

Letting go of stereotypes I've been an idiot for a lot of my life :o still am. You don't have a wide circle of friends? You don't spend every Saturday night out and hobnobbing at a restaurant? You don't have a wild night on New Year's Eve and rock around to music? I learned that not only did I not have those things, I didn't *want* them. I wanted more than I had - I was really lonely, and pretty depressed with it, but again, admitting it to myself, even if I didn't admit it to anyone else, was healthier for me.

Fifteen minutes. People on here often talk as if 15 minutes (in the garden, say) will lead to doing a couple of hours in the garden. For me, it didn't - just 15 minutes was a huge achievement. And that "bridges" concept was important too - I can't rest in the evening and then go to bed - I need to do something, however little, in the evening, so that I can rest properly at night.

Sleep good sleep. A balance of activity and rest, and the timing of meals and snacks.

People. Being on here, and having my own diary on mse, has been a lifesaver. I've seen my sister regularly, and my ex-colleague intermittently. Recognising when I've kept friendships from habit and loneliness, rather than liking someone, has been important. Recently, I've branched out - the healthy walks run by the council, U3A, and I've joined my local horticultural society today, going to Chelsea Physic Garden next week :) I've never had local links, and the older I get, the more I need them, I think.

Food and supplements Less carbs, less sugar (and then only honey, fruit and dried fruit, I have refined sugar maybe once a month). More protein, as my body craves it sometimes. To get more veg into me without the work of cooking and chopping, I've used frozen veg. People often seem to be horrified by that - but the effort of shopping for and cooking enough fresh veg would have done me in. Frozen veg has saved my life (I use that phrase a lot, don't I ... ). I use ashwagandha (sp?) herbal supplement in my porridge (sorry!) nothing else, though I really want to start Vit D and B12.

There's still room for improvement, but I have a chance of a proper life again now.

Apologies to all for the length of this post. Others who've had CF and related, please chip in - I bet I've missed a few things.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport