Incorrect Claim - Help needed

Options
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, I've made a huge mistake and could use some advise if anyone can help.

I've been with my partner for nearly seven years, two years ago he sold his property and moved in with me. Up until them I had been claiming child & working tax based on my being single with two children. I had planned to end my claim but just never got round to it. We had a fall out and parted company a couple of weeks ago, during an argument I ended my claim saying my partner had moved in. After he moved out I started a new claim. My partner was never on the electrical register at my house but had his car insurance bank, work, ect at my address. A few people have been gettign involved in our break up and I've worried some one is going report me for claiming. what are my options?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    The obvious thing to do would be to report it yourself.
  • Newbie1982
    Newbie1982 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to be honest here, I'm really struggling as it is without putting my head above the fence unnecessarily. I'm trying to understand how the system works and what chance this situation has of blowing up, if my partner wasn't on the electoral register would they know he was here?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they would. They have access to credits reference agencies. I don't condone benefit fraud under any circumstances so my only advice to you is to be honest.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Newbie1982 wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest here, I'm really struggling as it is without putting my head above the fence unnecessarily. I'm trying to understand how the system works and what chance this situation has of blowing up, if my partner wasn't on the electoral register would they know he was here?

You are acting like the electoral register is the be all and end all. It is not, there are many data matching exercises which can be done to link this together.
  • Newbie1982
    Options
    It's all a bit of a mess. I spoke to my ex and asked if he would help if it had to be paid back, he has said no as he had told me to cancel it, it isn't in his name, and he says it isn't anything to do with him.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's all a bit of a mess. I spoke to my ex and asked if he would help if it had to be paid back, he has said no as he had told me to cancel it, it isn't in his name, and he says it isn't anything to do with him.

If the claim was in your name alone then you will need to sort something out, anything from your ex partner would be goodwill alone, and it sounds like there is no goodwill to be had.

It really would be best to come clean now, make arrangements for any overpayment to be repaid in instalments, rather than risk the lot when they catch you out later and start suggesting benefit fraud. It might be tough for a while, but ultimately at least you won't have the worry hanging over you.

Also, this forum is not the place to start suggesting fraudulent behaviour.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Newbie1982
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. Me and the ex didn't split on good terms, I've been in touch to see if he'd help out but as I've said he's said no as it has nothing to do with him. He's moved house and I know when he got his new property he told the local borough council that he'd been living previously at my address, don't know if this will cause anything to flag up, I guess I need to have a long think about what to do next.
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    i think the best thing to do next is call up hmrc and tell them you've been claiming as a single person when you werent. If you were getting single persons discount on council tax when he was living there then they'll need telling too.
    better to put your hands up willingly than be forced to
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    OP, you knew you should have informed HMRC when your partner moved in and you failed to do so. That is fraud however you try to sugar the pill. The likelihood is that HMRC will find out about it sooner or later and it will be far better for you in the long term if you are the person who tells them.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I guess I need to have a long think about what to do next.

What is there to think about? You can either try to ignore it and know that you have done wrong - and worry about being caught, and then dealing with the consequences. Or you can be honest and tell tax credits that you would like to set the record straight.

Personally, I couldn't live with myself knowing that I had acted fraudulently. I would always be worried about the post, waiting for a letter inviting me for an interview under caution. I'd definitely rather be honest and know that my conscience is clear.

Presumably you want to bring your children up to be honest, decent citizens. You know that you need to sort this out, so for me there is no other option but to own up. Also, if you tell tax credits, there is hopefully less chance of prosecution than if they track you down first.

You won't find posters saying ignore it. Do the right thing and contact tax credits. It won't be easy for you, but at least you won't be worrying yourself sick that someone will inform them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure