We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Thoughts about my pension please..?

Options

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alibert wrote: »
    If I could, I would swap my big pot for a DB scheme like yours

May i be so bold as to ask how big your big pot is ?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    You could always compromise e.g. take a transfer and then use part of the pot to buy yourself an index-linked annuity (providing a very, very low risk income to cover your essential expenditures) and use the balance of the capital for investing. Or, another compromise: take the transfer, keep a lot of the capital as cash and bonds, and use that money to spend while you defer your State Pension - that's another variant of buying an index-linked annuity.

But if you have no dependants to leave your left-over capital to (if there were any left over) why would you take the risk of giving up a guaranteed RPI-linked income?

I repeat my suggestion of the other-way-round compromise: keep the DB pension but take a max TFLS from it if you really want to try investing. Remember the ancient question: "If you don't need the return why take the risk?"

Thanks,,trying to analyze it,,i think a part of it is about ownership and title.

Left in the scheme, i may pay more tax than i want to and they have the money and meter it out to me until i snuff it.

TX out,risky and with costs but i have title to the money
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If my DB pension were your DB pension, what would you do?

I think it depends on whether this is your entire retirement fund or whether you have other investments. If its the former then I would be very cautious about taking on any risk I was not comfortable with. After all, you don't want to spend your retirement years fretting about whether your money is going to lose half its value overnight.

If it were me and i had no dependents - I would almost certainly take the money and throw it in with my other assets to form a balanced portfolio. But that's me and we almost certainly don't have the same risk tolerance.

Get some professional advice.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Regarding the 4% model, if it has been tested back for many decades then its probably a reasonable starting point ?

Suggest that you do some research. Rather than than take something as key as this at face value. Then you make a reasoned decision as to the risks involved. The "4% model" has almost become something a stranger recommended to me down the pub. Severely diluted from the original research and the base criteria used. Not as simple as market returns alone.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Indeed and this is why i am cautious. I have colleagues who have been signed up with IFAs and are being told they "will get 4 to 5%" per year and yet when i speak to some of those colleagues it is clear that they have far far less understanding of it all than i do.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Indeed and this is why i am cautious. I have colleagues who have been signed up with IFAs and are being told they "will get 4 to 5%" per year and yet when i speak to some of those colleagues it is clear that they have far far less understanding of it all than i do.

There's a really smart chap on the internet (i.e. me) who wrote a very insightful critique of the 4% rule ;)

You can read it here:

http://earlyretirefree.com/safe-withdrawal-rates-swr-and-why-you-should-be-worried/
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2018 at 1:54AM
    Options
    i think the key should be what are your aims, and then how best to achieve them, rather than about having control for its own sake. for instance, if your aim is to have a steady income for life, and the DB pension gives that, why transfer out and then invest a large pension with an aim of achieving a steady income for life, which you had to start with?

there are possible reasons to transfer out. you have to work out whether they apply to you.

i think a lot of the possible reasons fall under the following categories:

1) aiming to achieve a higher income for life than you'd get from the DB pension. transfer values for DB pensions have become so high recently that this is often realistic. however, it does come with some risk. i.e. the odds may favour achieving a higher income but there is also the risk of ending up with a lower one.

i would not worry too much about the debate about the 4% rule here. (which comes down to: is that too optimistic, and should it be 3% or some other figure instead?) because in practice, what anybody sensible will use is flexible drawdown rate.

people who are taking 4% or 5% (or perhaps even 6%) should be OK if they understand that that is a variable rate, and if investments are doing badly (especially in the first few years of retirement, which is when investment losses can hurt you the most), they will have to cut back. but if they think the 4% or 5% is a certainty, they may have a rude awakening.

drawdown is not usually based on pure yield, i.e. if you're drawing 4%, you don't necessarily use investments which pay 4% annual yield. more typically, the yield would be lower, and you'd sell down some capital to raise the rest of the 4% . (in the long run, you expect some capital gains - though some years will be up, others down - so this can be sustainable.) the problem with going for 4% yield is that most investments don't have that high a yield, so you'd end up not being very well diversified. e.g. the FTSE100 is close to 4% yield, but it's not very well diversified by itself, and the major indexes in most other countries/world regions yield less. and bonds - the steadier component of the portfolio - yield less (unless they are the riskier bonds).

2) wanting to spend a much larger amount in the early years of retirement (e.g. on travel), but less in later years. many retired people's spending does follow this kind of pattern. there's no point not having access to enough cash to do more active things you want to do in early retirement, but then having more income than you want to spend when you're in your 80s.

however, you can start by using any accessible capital outside of pensions for extra spending in early retirement, and then consider taking the maximum lump sum from the DB scheme for the same purpose. it's only if that doesn't give you access to enough capital early on (and leaves you an unnecessarily high income later on), that it might be a reason to transfer out of the DB pension.

(incidentally, presumably you will also get a state pension from age 67. this should be factored in. it gives you more income in (slightly) later retirement, possibly not when it's most useful to you.)

3) bequest motive. if you take the DB pension, it's gone when you die (except for spousal pension, where applicable). but if you transfer out, you have a pension pot, which (provided you don't spend it all), can be passed on to somebody else (or to charities). you can leave an "expression of wishes" with the pension provider, to say where you want it to go (pensions are not covered by your will, because they don't count as personal property).

now, you say you don't have dependents, so you don't feel obliged to leave anything to anybody. but do you want to (if possible, after providing for your own retirement properly)? that's a possible motivation for transferring out.

OTOH, if your aim is to spend the lot, then in the long run, the only good way to do that without risking penury is to turn your pension into an annuity. one way to do that is to stick with the DB pension.

however, another way is to transfer out, and initially use investments and draw a variable income via drawdown, but to use the remaining pot to buy an annuity later on. if you wait till you're somewhere in your 70s, then annuity rates will be higher because of your higher age (hence lower life expectancy). but then, would a higher reliable income be so worthwhile, if you don't get it until a much higher age? (that's for you to say, not me :))

kidmugsy's idea of transferring out, and then using part of the pot to buy an index-linked annuity is also worth considering. perhaps you could buy a large enough annuity to give you a decent income in later retirement - especially when considering that you will also have state pension then - and then you are freer to do whatever you like with the rest. whether that is big spending in early retirement. or trying to leave as large an amount left over as possible when you die, to be a nice surprise for whichever friend or charity you choose.

i'm not sure what i'd do in your situation. i don't have any DB pension. i will probably just have state pension + the investments that i manage myself (part in a SIPP, but more in ISA and taxable account). while i'm happy managing my investments, i may be less happy doing that when i'm a lot older, and i am thinking that i might want a larger fully guaranteed pension than just the state pension. so i am thinking that i may eventually use much of my SIPP to buy an annuity, though perhaps not till i'm 70 or more.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Thanks Gym sock...i think the best plan for me is to find an IFA who knows his or her stuff but doesnt have an interest in DB transfers so there isnt any unconscious bias.

The other fear i have is that if the DB scheme has a sudden rise in transfers (and it has),, then i could suffer from last man out the door syndrome. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. So many people tc out that the sponsoring company see it as a good opportunity to threaten the scheme,limit it,shut it down,otherwise dabble with it to their advantage.

Maybe the scheme is rubbing its hands with glee at the number of people txing out as they are buying off future liabilities at todays rates ?

I wonder if there is a tipping point, i mean the scheme must be having to sell assets to pay out or are they allowed to borrow?

People were quite happy with their "gold plated" DB pensions until all this started.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your pension should now be worth £18489+RPI, which would be around £19000pa, so if that 730k CETV is a current one, then it would appear to be quite a tempting proposition at around 38x benefit.
    That £19000pa DB pension would of course be subject to income tax, which for a standard basic rate taxpayer would mean tax of c£1400pa, making the real net pension around £17600pa.

To generate £19000pa from a 730k pot would mean an initial drawdown rate of 2.6%, which is at the lower end of the range most would consider a sustainable maximum.
    However, a better option might be just taking the equivalent of the personal allowance each year from the drawdown fund and supplementing that with money from the available 182k TFLS - all tax free then (notwithstanding any taxes you might have to pay on returns from that TFLS)

Fair enough, this approach is not risk free, so you have to weigh those risks against the potential rewards. However only you can decide if the potential rewards outweigh the risks - there will be many differing opinions on that I'm afraid, and as there are no crystal balls there is simply no way to know beforehand which way it will actually go.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DB pensions are not [pots of money invested in your name.
    They are promises made to you.
    The company that makes thed promise has to invest money so as to be prepared to pay out. There are rules foverning how that money is invested. A lot has to be invested in bonds - safer but lower payi
    Because interest rates are so low bond rates are also low so many schemes appear incolvent. Thus companies are required to pay in more money.
    In addition people are living longer so the cost of keeping the promise is rising.

Thus DB pensions are expensive liabilities for companies. So it is worth their while to make a lump sum payment in place of the promise. The more they get rid off the better it is for the company.

There is no reall prospect of there being a penalty for being last man out the door, Indeed they might pay extra if it enables them to close the scheme.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport