Sun Cream

Options
I spent a period of my childhood in Singapore and, 50 years on, I have recently been diagnosed as having patches of actinic keratoses. My dermatologist recommends liberal use of high SPF/High UVA star rated sun creams even in cloudy conditions.

My wife is getting fed up walking out alongside someone who looks like he is a relative of Dracula. I would be interested to know if any MSErs have found a high protection/low cost sun cream that doesn't give the skin a ghostly white look? I have tried Wilko, Lidl, Boots Soltan and Nivea and they all have a similar skin whitening effect.

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ultrasun is good, I need to wear it everyday and you can!!!8217;t see it after about ten minutes.
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Trying having a look on Amazon for some Asian Sunscreens, they're very cosmetically elegant which means you won't have a white cast as you've had with the others you've tried. Or you could try some French sunscreens, La Roche Posay, Vichy, Biodema and Eucerin all have some good SPFs which don't leave a white cast. Websites like Cocooncenter and Easyparapharmacie means you can get them at a decent price.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A second rec for Ultrasun, they do a factor 50+, its not "cheap" but its definitely value for money, you can get some good prices in tkmaxx but their stock is a bit hit and miss, worth looking at QVC website for price checks but make sure you take into account the ridiculous postage!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great advice - thank you. For young sun seekers who like the sun, my advice would be take care. The treatment for AK varies from cryotherapy (freezing the lesions) to 3 week's of treatment with a rather nasty chemotherapy cream which dermatologists call '5FU'.(Flouracil). A generous application of sunscreen is a small price to pay if it prevents AKs from developing: the cream does though play havoc with shirt cuffs and collars.
  • florain
    florain Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH has the same skin problems and his dermatologist told him to use Altruist sunscreen.
    Its not advertised, to save money, and only available through Amazon. Specially developed by dermatologists for people, like you, who don't like 'heavy' creams.
    Not expensive compared to other products.
    Lots of info on their Amazon page.
    We are using it for the second summer and find it very good.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF50. It is not the cheapest but suits my sensitive skin and doesn't look white.
  • System
    Options
    florain wrote: »
    My OH has the same skin problems and his dermatologist told him to use Altruist sunscreen.
    Its not advertised, to save money, and only available through Amazon. Specially developed by dermatologists for people, like you, who don't like 'heavy' creams.

I ordered a couple of 100ml 50SPF packs yesterday afternoon for £9.06 off eBay from an Israeli seller. Amazon delivered them this morning! I will let you know how I get on.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    florain wrote: »

I used to have this prescribed, I used to buy it for £1.99 from approved foods, my GP then changed to ultrasun, found it much better at dealing with my sun allergy and not as greasy as altruist.
  • System
    Options
    Neutrogena Dry Touch has a high SPF and doesn't make the skin look chalky. Very high SPFs are available, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrogena-Ultra-Sheer-Dry-Touch-Lotion/dp/B00MH2PT5A/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1530033350&sr=8-2&keywords=neutrogena+dry+touch
  • Triggercat
    Triggercat Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I like Isdin Water Fusion spf 50, it!!!8217;s a Spanish brand, and is a lovely light fluid that sinks straight in. I use this on my face and neck, but regular cream on arms legs etc.

There are lots of much lighter spf!!!8217;s around these days thankfully:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure