PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Buyer's Insurance

mikeyp231987
mikeyp231987 Posts: 44 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 June 2018 at 4:55PM in House buying, renting & selling
I'm in the process of buying a house and will be instructing a solicitor imminently. I'm seeing Home Buyer's insurance being offered in various places and it seems like a no-brainer to get this for only £50. I'm wondering if anyone has ever actually taken this out? It says 3 in 10 house purchases fall through so given them numbers I figured at least a few on here might have experienced it and if they had insurance had to make a claim? Was it successful and did they pay out?

https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/i-am-buying/homebuyer-protection-insurance/

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well... based on the information they provide, they must be telling fibs...
    it seems like a no-brainer to get this for only £50.

...It says 3 in 10 house purchases fall through...

So for every 10 policies they sell at £50:
    • Their income is 10 x £50 = £500
    • They have an average of 3 claims at £1000 plus each. So they pay out a total of 3 x £1000 = £3,000

Insurance companies aren't charities, they will be selling these policies to make a profit. (i.e. Earn more in income than they pay out in claims.)

So their terms/exclusions must mean that they pay out much less often than 3 in 10 policies.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Read the small print.

What do they actually cover?
    What costs do they include/exclude?
    In what exact circumstances would they pay out?
    What are the exclusions?

I've no experience of them myself but suspect strongly that the fact they are never mentioned (positively or negatively) on this forum means very few pepe take them out.

I wonder why.....?
  • What is covered:

The insurer will pay your conveyancing costs, mortgage arrangement
    fees, lenders fees, survey fees incurred by you and subject to the limit
    of indemnity in the event of the following:
    !!!61623; the property is withdrawn from sale by the vendor for reasons
    beyond your control;
    !!!61623; the vendor receives and accepts an offer which is at least £1,000
    greater than the offer they have accepted from you;
    !!!61623; a local authority search highlights that the property is subject of a
    compulsory purchase order;
    !!!61623; the vendor is not legally entitled to sell you the property;
    !!!61623; you or the person purchasing the property with you, die, are made
    redundant or are relocated, and you are unable or unwilling to
    continue with the purchase of the property;
    !!!61623; the initial mortgage lender!!!8217;s valuation is less than 90% of the sum
    you have offered for the property which has been accepted by the
    vendor;
    !!!61623; prior to the release of funds the mortgage lender insists on
    rectification work to the property and the cost exceeds 10% of the
    sum offered by you which has been accepted by the vendor;
    !!!61623; the mortgage lender applies a retention on the loan which is more
    than 10% of the sum offered by you which has been accepted by
    the vendor; or
    !!!61623; the property is damaged during the period of cover and the cost
    of rectification work exceeds 10% of the property value.

What is not covered:

The insurer will not be liable for any costs and expenses:
    !!!61623; incurred before the start date;
    !!!61623; if you withdraw from the purchase of the property for any reasons
    other than those specifically covered by this policy;
    !!!61623; if you are aware of a previous survey having been carried out to the
    property up to 90 days prior to the start date that may give
    reasonable cause for the purchase to fail;
    !!!61623; if you are aware, prior to the start date, of any circumstances which
    could lead to a claim being made under this policy;
    !!!61623; if you deliberately and knowingly cause a delay or use unreasonable
    behaviour that results in the failed purchase;
    !!!61623; where they can be reimbursed by your employer or where your claim
    is covered by another policy;
    !!!61623; where you are able to obtain a refund of costs which you have
    incurred; or
    !!!61623; where, in the case of redundancy: you are self-employed, a
    company director or partner of the company giving notice of
    redundancy, or, the redundancy is voluntary.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    We do not see 30% of cases fall through.
    Maybe 5%.

But if it falls through, you can be out of pocket anywhere from nothing up to thousands. We had one recently which was particularly bad one and our customer is out of pocket by quite a lot. But the flip side is that we have another client whos felel through earlier this year, he is out of pocket nothing.

He has paid our fee, but as it is not his fault, we will do another application for him free of charge. His valuation fee was a free one. He may have to pay for a valuation fee next time but we will see what is around when he is ready to move.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG wrote: »
    We do not see 30% of cases fall through.
    Maybe 5%.

But if it falls through, you can be out of pocket anywhere from nothing up to thousands. We had one recently which was particularly bad one and our customer is out of pocket by quite a lot. But the flip side is that we have another client whos felel through earlier this year, he is out of pocket nothing.

He has paid our fee, but as it is not his fault, we will do another application for him free of charge. His valuation fee was a free one. He may have to pay for a valuation fee next time but we will see what is around when he is ready to move.

Sorry but I don't quite understand your post. Who is 'we' and are you saying that the client that had their sale fall through had insurance and was compensated?

What insurance would this be then?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To highlight some of the limitations of the insurance, it appears to cover you if
    a local authority search highlights that the property is subject of a compulsory purchase order

but not the many other adverse things which may appear in a search

and also if
    the vendor is not legally entitled to sell you the property
    but not for the countless more likely title problems which may arise.
  • mikeyp231987
    mikeyp231987 Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 1:55PM
    davidmcn wrote: »
    To highlight some of the limitations of the insurance, it appears to cover you if

but not the many other adverse things which may appear in a search

and also if

but not for the countless more likely title problems which may arise.

But are those adverse things enough to make you pull out of the sale? Or could they cause the sale to fall through unavoidably?

I feel like for £50, if there is even a small chance of the insurance company paying out and saving you from losing out on hundreds of pounds it is worth it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    But are those adverse things enough to make you pull out of the sale? Or could they cause the sale to fall through unavoidably?
    Of course. The sellers might for example be legally entitled to sell the property, but it turns out the property doesn't have any rights of access. You're not covered. And so on.
    I feel like for £50, if there is even a small chance of the insurance company paying out and saving you from losing out on hundreds of pounds it is worth it.
    I would save insurance for the disastrous things which you genuinely couldn't afford, otherwise all you're doing is betting against the insurers. And they usually win.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Looking at the kind of posts you see on this forum, popular reasons for purchases not progressing include...

• Seller going too slow and/or not communicating - so buyer gives up
    • Building regs or planning consent issues
    • Chain collapses due to problem higher up or lower down chain.
    • Leasehold related - length of lease, service charges, ground rent.
    • Covenant / Right of Way / Access related
    • Problems identified in survey (but not sufficient to down value by 10%)

It doesn't sound like any of those would be covered by the insurance.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2018 at 5:06PM
    I have bought home buyer insurance from Homelyfe, only £35 and covers up to total of £2250.
    You need to know what is covered and assess if those situation might happen in your case. Mine is a 2 bed flat in a very well maintained building, I know it's unlikely to have any nasty surprise in survey report, and I am pretty sure I won't change my mind. The insurance is mainly to protect us from being gazumped or when seller simply changes his mind. It depends on how sure are you about the property you are buying really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure