MSE News: Massive rail fare overhaul could see season tickets scrapped

Options
Season tickets and peak and off-peak fares could be scrapped as part of a radical rethink of Britain's entire train ticket system, while the changes could also mean you no longer need to split tickets to save. Here's how to have your say on the shake-up...
Read the full story:
'Massive rail fare overhaul could see season tickets scrapped'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• harshitguptaiitr
    harshitguptaiitr Posts: 171 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    edited 4 June 2018 at 8:41AM
    Options
    Can there be a ticket for regular weekday commuters only? If someone is traveling to work every week from Mon-Fri then there should be an option for this.

People buying tickets should be able to link their account to delay compensation scheme. So rather than each passenger having to complain and then claim compensation, the compensation should automatically be credited based on delay or cancellations.

Annual fare increase should consider punctuality and reliability of the service and not just a blanket increase based on inflation regardless of the service.

For trains going to 'airport cities' such as London, Birmingham, Bristol and others.... there should be clear provision of replacement transport if the train is cancelled. Many passengers take trains to the airports and if a train is cancelled, they are left at mercy and discretion of train staff on whether replacement transport will be provided or not.

Introduce dedicated loyalty scheme, where commuters earn points for every 10 miles traveled by train. These points can then be redeemed towards future ticket purchase.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I voted to wipe out all the complexity. Simple price per mile with a price cap for commuters.

Anything else seems unnecessary.

Peak fares? No need as those who can travel later would never willingly join the commuter crush. They were never about spreading out travel, just hitting commuters for more cash as they are forced to travel regardless.

If train companies need incentives to keep branch lines open that can be done behind the scenes taking money from one line to subsidise another. There is no need to add that complexity to ticket prices.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Charge for seat reservations.
    It is annoying when customers paying £20 have a reserved seat, and those paying £100 do not. Charge could be £10 per single journey (capped at single journey ticket price if less than £10). Automatic refunds if train cancelled or train operator has not actually reserved the seat.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can there be a ticket for regular weekday commuters only? If someone is traveling to work every week from Mon-Fri then there should be an option for this.

Do you mean those who travel to work on Sunday evening or Monday morning and return on Friday afternoons?
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One-Eye wrote: »
    It is annoying when customers paying £20 have a reserved seat, and those paying £100 do not. Charge could be £10 per single journey (capped at single journey ticket price if less than £10). Automatic refunds if train cancelled or train operator has not actually reserved the seat.

Come sit by me next time :)
    Customers paying £20 - have obviously used Advance booking, currently includes a booking fee (which you don't pay at the ticket office) and a mandatory seat reservation.

The person paying £100 - is there still an option to pay £10 on the train and get upgraded to First Class ? I'd consider that better use of my tenner.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    Options
    This crystallised for me one of the advantages of the current fare system.

My longer journey starts before peak time and continues into the off-peak time slot. If I buy one ticket it is priced at the peak rate, but when I get split tickets the portion after the start of off-peak is at the discounted off-peak rate.

Be careful what you wish for.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to do the survey, it kept crashing. Given up now.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 June 2018 at 9:40PM
    Options
    It is annoying when customers paying £20 have a reserved seat, and those paying £100 do not.

Why doesn't the £100 ticket holder get a free seat reservation?
    Yes, that's right... every traveller can get a free seat reservation whatever the price of the ticket.

Of course that only applies on trains where reservations are available, but that applies equally to both the £20 ticket holder and the £100 ticket holder.
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    Do you mean those who travel to work on Sunday evening or Monday morning and return on Friday afternoons?

I meant people who do return journeys everyday, for 5 days a week - 10 journeys a week for their work/home commute.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have family members who are nurses at central London hospitals, who commute, but only three or four long days per week. They end up getting a season ticket, mostly to save the hassle of paying separately each time they need to travel. A "part-time-season ticket" for people like them would be good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure