Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 22nd May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 528Posts
    • 185Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco Direct to close in July
    • 22nd May 18, 3:24 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco Direct to close in July 22nd May 18 at 3:24 PM
    Tesco Direct - the store's online shop for non-food items such as clothing and homeware - will close in July...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco Direct to close in July'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 22nd May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    • 22nd May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 3:46 PM
    I won't shed any tears, but very surprised about this.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • CarolTheExtra
    • By CarolTheExtra 22nd May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    CarolTheExtra
    • 22nd May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 4:05 PM
    Really quite shocked by this news but saying that hardly ever used them but occasionally been able to get some extra points there. Donít spend very much at all in the store so wonít be getting many rewards now. We have visited so many places all over the country courtesy of Tesco deals and with Direct closing it looks like our points wonít accumulate to many.

We have two Tesco Extras in our town but always a poor selection of Lego so we relied on Direct particularly at Christmas. Still one less to compare when all the stores have 3 for 2 etc - used to get so confused!
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 22nd May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 8,793 Posts
    • 108,132 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 22nd May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 4:40 PM
    Cause? Amazon and eBay.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 22nd May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    Patr100
    • 22nd May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 4:59 PM
    A few years back they had the odd bargain (no doubt prices heavily subsidised) posted at MSE or HotUK Deals but in the last couple of years whenever I've reviewed them for prices for any thing I'm looking for online their prices were often expensive. Also fewer products were actually sold by Tesco and more by third party sellers. Only convenience was that I had a click and collect point quite near at a Tesco Local store.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • prowla
    • By prowla 22nd May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 10,303 Posts
    • 8,678 Thanks
    prowla
    • 22nd May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 5:17 PM
    I've had a few things from them, most recently a TV a couple of months back.

So, what will Tesco Clubcard vouchers be good for now and what's the incentive to (a) collect them and (b) shop at Tesco.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 22nd May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 22nd May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 6:15 PM
    I stopped using them when they started including other sellers, who often priced higher than going direct or to their eBay store. You also didn't get the Tesco "benefits", like being able to return items to a Tesco store for an instant refund.

• Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 22nd May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 34,911 Posts
    • 40,976 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 22nd May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 8:00 PM
    How long before clubcard goes ?

Costs them £500 million a year to run , assume it also is now a loss leader
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 22nd May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 22nd May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 10:55 PM
    Must admit that I'm very surprised by this as I found it a good alternative to Amazon and Ebay. I'm not interested in buying groceries online so I never go to their normal website. I would have thought that, in this day and age, they should be looking to expand Tesco Direct rather than close it.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 22nd May 18, 10:58 PM
    • 5,164 Posts
    • 11,727 Thanks
    Money maker
    I found their website really difficult to navigate, it never seemed to bring up the right items based on keywords. I think that had a good deal to do with it, a decent search facility means I would have used it more.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • aj23
    • By aj23 23rd May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    You can buy it in store, so why have it online.

Probably people buying stuff online and returning it, which is time and money to Tesco Direct. Don't blame them. At least if you go into a store you can decide if you like it before buying it.
  • archived user
    Good business practice to review and ensure that each part of the business is contributing to the overall success of the business and if not fix it or cull it.

Better to stay ahead by making changes sooner rather than later.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 23rd May 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11,848 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Shame, as next day delivery (to store) was better than paying for Amazon Prime.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 23rd May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 7,581 Posts
    • 11,083 Thanks
    KxMx
    Argos is miles better than Tesco Direct.

The nationwide same day delivery they offer beats the nearest rival, Amazon Prime Now.

Argos has loads more products than Tesco Direct and at much better prices.
    • LADY A
    • By LADY A 24th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    LADY A
    Had two sofas on order from 23/04/18 . Payment taken on that date and given a within 27 day delivery window . Just phoned to enquire when dispatch will take place and informed me i would not now be getting my sofas as tesco direct is shutting down.
    Had my money for four weeks !!!!!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 25th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 8,131 Posts
    • 14,797 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Argos is miles better than Tesco Direct.

The nationwide same day delivery they offer beats the nearest rival, Amazon Prime Now.

Argos has loads more products than Tesco Direct and at much better prices.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Now you can get TU clothing delivered to Argos as some areas either don't have Sainsburys or have Sainsburys but don't stock clothing. Plus its 25% off until Monday
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 27th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    i remember tesco direct used deliver to the local tesco eg the tesco metro down the road but they stopped doing this and then started using a fee or something so i stopped using them .
    • daz_75
    • By daz_75 6th Jun 18, 10:19 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    daz_75
    Zero tax paying less than minimum wage paying amazon strikes again. Won't be long before they are all that's left.

Bought most of the last few years christmas presents from Tesco direct as they mostly been cheaper than the rivals including shamazon
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 10th Jun 18, 8:20 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    I used to use Tesco direct a lot. It was convenient with click & collect & used to be reasonably priced. Then it just seemed to get really expensive, & the introduced a £3 charge to collect! They soon abandoned that tho.

Nowadays, I use Argos cos they can deliver the same day for about £4 or its free if I pop to my local Sainsbury's to pick it up (the same day!). My local Sainsbury's is right next to my local Tesco!
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 18th Jun 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 19,174 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    I stopped using them when they started including other sellers, who often priced higher than going direct or to their eBay store. You also didn't get the Tesco "benefits", like being able to return items to a Tesco store for an instant refund.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Same here.
    I used to buy lots of clothes when F&F was a separate site but as soon as they moved it across to Tesco Direct I stopped buying because it just wasn't user friendly.
    It's a shame because the clothes section in our local store is tiny.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,133Posts Today

6,558Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin