Overhead Power cable compensation

I'm looking into claiming for the power lines that run over my garden. I haven't a clue who to turn to so I am looking to someone who has already done this or knows a thing or two about how to approach this.
I've asked opinions of family and friends and it seems to be a split as to if the cables are on the property. We have a public pavement, about 3-4 feet wide between our house and our garden and the cables are riiiiigggghhhhtttt on the edge of my garden.
Do I have anything to lose if I go ahead with a possible claim?

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am sure someone who knows better will be here soon, but I am sure I have read that if you buy the property with the power lines already in situ then you have no recourse.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm looking into claiming for the power lines that run over my garden. I haven't a clue who to turn to so I am looking to someone who has already done this or knows a thing or two about how to approach this.
    I've asked opinions of family and friends and it seems to be a split as to if the cables are on the property. We have a public pavement, about 3-4 feet wide between our house and our garden and the cables are riiiiigggghhhhtttt on the edge of my garden.
    Do I have anything to lose if I go ahead with a possible claim?
    Don't expect a lot....and if its money you are after because they don't improve the view, expect nothing.

Approach your local DNO (distribution Network Operator) and tell them the above details, and that you are after a wayleave payment
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AFAIK to qualify for compensation the pole has to be on the property, or the wires running directly over it. If the wires run near to your property, but not actually on or over it then you wont but there's no harm in asking.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport