Options
2»

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robber2 wrote: »
    Learn from this and NEVER drive without insurance again. Next time the accidient may be YOUR fault and you risk ruining someone elses life as well as your own.

Rob
    Whether or not they had insurance wouldn't make a difference, would it.
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    prowla ?? point you are making is...
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Whether or not they had insurance wouldn't make a difference, would it.

My understanding is that 3rd parties are protected from uninsured drivers and so would be compensated.

That is no way means it's ok not to have insurance or tax and expect other people to pay for it.

I get reminder letters about tax and insurance and I also put expected dates in my electronic calendar, so not sure what went wrong here.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robber2 wrote: »
    Learn from this and NEVER drive without insurance again. Next time the accidient may be YOUR fault and you risk ruining someone elses life as well as your own.

Rob

I for one resent my premiums going up each year to cover for morons who don't pay theirs. In an instance like this (if I ruled the world) they wouldn't get a penny compensation., and they certainly wouldn't get paid out for their car!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you expect to get paid when you have no ins or tax.

Why shouldn't they if it is not their fault?

The insurance and tax is a seperate matter, and yes they may have to pay out more for that than they get for the accident but that's is their choice. Ok tax lapsing I can accept if you ignore post. But insurance would surely have been had to cancel auto renewing as i am unaware of any that don't. Silly yes but also a differnet matter.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I for one resent my premiums going up each year to cover for morons who don't pay theirs. In an instance like this (if I ruled the world) they wouldn't get a penny compensation., and they certainly wouldn't get paid out for their car!

I think you need to split out liability and insurance.
    The person responsible for the accident is liable and the victim (and their passengers) are entitled to be compensated.

There should be a penalty for not having insurance and IMO it should be punitive.

Don't forget there may be innocent passenger and family members either directly or indirectly affected.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I think you need to split out liability and insurance.
    The person responsible for the accident is liable and the victim (and their passengers) are entitled to be compensated.

There should be a penalty for not having insurance and IMO it should be punitive.

Don't forget there may be innocent passenger and family members either directly or indirectly affected.

Yes, there might have been innocent victims - that's not the case here, the OP is not an innocent victim though. They should not have been where they were, they were breaking the law - by being where they were, driving a car they should not have been driving.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Yes, there might have been innocent victims - that's not the case here, the OP is not an innocent victim though. They should not have been where they were, they were breaking the law - by being where they were, driving a car they should not have been driving.

By your argument then a drunk driver causing the death of a pedestrian who was an escaped prisoner from Wormwood Scrubs is in the clear as the victim should have been in prison not out and about!

Of course the OP is entitled to his compensation.

Whether or not his car was taxed is irrelevant!!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Options
    prowla ?? point you are making is...
    I was responding to the comment:
    My point is that the two sentences in the comment are unrelated.
    lisyloo wrote: »
    My understanding is that 3rd parties are protected from uninsured drivers and so would be compensated.

That is no way means it's ok not to have insurance or tax and expect other people to pay for it.

I get reminder letters about tax and insurance and I also put expected dates in my electronic calendar, so not sure what went wrong here.
    Yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport