So who is safe to book with?

Options
After reading the multiple threads about TUI on here (i was thinking about booking with them before i came on here!)

And after seeing the recent icelolly thread (again i was looking at their website recently)

Now im wondering who is actually safe and trustworthy to book a package holiday through?

Some of the prices seem great on places like TUI, Icelolly and holidaypirates but after reading the problems people are having with websites like these its got me reconsidering if its worth the hassle.

Are there any good ones that people can recommend please?

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If ever we go on package holiday we use TUI and have never had a problem. But we usually do a holiday booking ourselves. Book our flights and then find accommodation using booking.com or find an apartment.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just avoid teletext
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jet2 are good
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Find a holiday on line then pop in to a TUI or Thomas cook shop and book it there.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We book at least one holiday every year with Tui, and have no problems with them.
  • guzzbuzz
    guzzbuzz Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    I have been looking at doing the flights + accommodation myself (this is how ive always done it tbh)

But when you factor in the need for a suitcase (if going away for 7-14 days). The airlines usually charge £40-£50 for this (20-25kg) and then you factor in the transfers from the airport to your hotel (some packages holidays do this for free) it seems to be working out cheaper for a package deal in many cases.

That's what had me looking at them to be honest. Plus i've never been all inclusive so that also had me interested. Which seems much more expensive if you just try and book with booking.com etc?

Didnt think about TUI in store, it does seem like most of the problems they'e had are with the online website. Might check out the nearest store for a deal.

Do they match the price you see online or even have better/different deals than online?
  • shopaholicz
    shopaholicz Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We've been going away with TUI for years and have never had even one problem.

For a last minute hol this year our daughter booked us with Sunmaster as we didn't have any issues with them either.
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    guzzbuzz wrote: »
    I have been looking at doing the flights + accommodation myself (this is how ive always done it tbh)

But when you factor in the need for a suitcase (if going away for 7-14 days). The airlines usually charge £40-£50 for this (20-25kg) and then you factor in the transfers from the airport to your hotel (some packages holidays do this for free) it seems to be working out cheaper for a package deal in many cases.

That's what had me looking at them to be honest. Plus i've never been all inclusive so that also had me interested. Which seems much more expensive if you just try and book with booking.com etc?

I recently did my first ever All Inclusive package holiday and I must say it was an eye-opener. I've always done the DIY route and maybe I had been a little snobbish about packages in general and AI in particular. However, a couple of weeks ago I found myself with some unexpected time off and needing to book a last minute holiday. I found a late availability AI deal through Thomas Cook to Turkey which was just too cheap to refuse.

For the price I really couldn't complain at all - the transfers were flawless, the room much better than I expected (travelling alone I thought I would be dumped into the worst room in the hotel) and the food was perfectly adequate - plus the drinks were free :beer:
    I only ate in the hotel a few times as I like to go out to explore but it was nice to have the option of free food and drink if you were feeling lazy.

I don't think AI is ever going to replace my DIY adventures around SE Asia or city breaks in Europe but I can see their attraction for a hassle free week in the sun for a price that is impossible to beat.
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    We've been going away with TUI for years and have never had even one problem.

For a last minute hol this year our daughter booked us with Sunmaster as we didn't have any issues with them either.

LOL i came back froim a TUI holiday yesterday. The coach transfer failed to turn up at hotel so we had to get a taxi- 75 euros and then argue the point at the airport to get it refunded- which they did do after 15 min of discussion- unbfortuantely in euros cash, which to change back means me lose out . Also made it very tight on check in to make plane- granned a rep and got taken to sp[ecial assistance
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:37PM
    Options
    The big package companies, TUI, Thomas Cook and Jet2 are sound.

The latter are especially good - well organised check in at airport, ample legroom on aircraft, generous 23kg baggage allowance and (in many locations) resort check in for the return flight. You say goodbye (temporarily) to your luggage at the hotel and go straight to security on arrival at the departure airport.

DIY holidays are fine, however they do have drawbacks in certain circumstances - like the volcanic ash drama in 2010 when so many flights were cancelled.

We were in a hotel in Malta on a Thomas Cook package and were well looked after for the 4 extra days in the same room on same board basis until they chartered an Air Malta aircraft to get us back to the UK.

DIY clients in our hotel were not covered by such duty of care apparently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure