current account eligibility checker like credit card one

hey guys,

first post on this board so thanks in advance for any advice. does anyone know of a way to soft check if you will be accepted for a current account like most of the cc companies have?

i have a decent credit record but have moved to new address thats not electoral roll sorted yet but would like to change banks maybe to hsbc Santander or first direct as they fd have excellent customer service record but don't wont to blot my copy book.

any advice much appreciated and sorry if this is wrong board.

thanks

andy

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    This'll probably find its way to the Budgeting and Bank Account forum OP but in answer to your question as far as I'm aware only Lloyds Bank offer a 'soft search' tool in terms of opening a current account.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hey guys,

first post on this board so thanks in advance for any advice. does anyone know of a way to soft check if you will be accepted for a current account like most of the cc companies have?

i have a decent credit record but have moved to new address thats not electoral roll sorted yet but would like to change banks maybe to hsbc Santander or first direct as they fd have excellent customer service record but don't wont to blot my copy book.

any advice much appreciated and sorry if this is wrong board.

thanks

andy

Most of the banks will have eligibility some where not necessarily a checker
    Bank account should be straight forward unless you mean you want an overdraft which would mean a credit check.
    E.g. I swapped to rbs and got 250overdraft a year or two later
    Only after I was declined straight no from Santander 123 account.
    Which I understood as I had my dmp hence I don;t apply for bank swaps anymore.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think some of the online app based challenger banks like Starling/Monzo will only do a soft search when you apply for an account with them only elevating to a hard search if you accept any offer of an overdraft
  • thanks for the replies everyone, most helpful as always :) i did a live chat with fd this morning and the rep said if i call the account opening team they would be happy discuss it with me.

has anyone done the swapping banks to get the free cash for opening an account? again i am thinking of footprints on my credit file as we all know here hard to build up easy to ruin.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    has anyone done the swapping banks to get the free cash for opening an account? again i am thinking of footprints on my credit file as we all know here hard to build up easy to ruin.

Tens of thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands.

The occasional search will have no negative impact on a well managed credit file. Certainly wouldn't ruin anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure